Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Soldier mom refuses deployment to care for baby

Soldier mom refuses deployment to care for baby
By RUSS BYNUM, AP Military Writer Russ Bynum, Ap Military Writer Mon Nov 16, 9:32 pm ET

SAVANNAH, Ga. – An Army cook and single mom may face criminal charges after she skipped her deployment flight to Afghanistan because, she said, no one was available to care for her infant son while she was overseas.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, claims she had no choice but to refuse deployment orders because the only family she had to care for her 10-month-old son — her mother — was overwhelmed by the task, already caring for three other relatives with health problems.

Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson's superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care.

"For her it was like, 'I couldn't abandon my child,'" Sussman said. "She was really afraid of what would happen, that if she showed up they would send her to Afghanistan anyway and put her son with child protective services."

Hutchinson, who is from Oakland, Calif., remained confined Monday to the boundaries of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, 10 days after military police arrested her for skipping her unit's flight. No charges have been filed, but a spokesman for the Army post said commanders were investigating.

Kevin Larson, a spokesman for Hunter Army Airfield, said he didn't know what Hutchinson was told by her commanders, but he said the Army would not deploy a single parent who had nobody to care for his or her child.

"I don't know what transpired and the investigation will get to the bottom of it," Larson said. "If she would have come to the deployment terminal with her child, there's no question she would not have been deployed."

Hutchinson's son, Kamani, was placed into custody overnight with a daycare provider on the Army post after she was arrested and jailed briefly, Larson said. Hutchinson's mother picked up the child a week ago and took him back to her home in California.

Hutchinson, who's assigned to the 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division, joined the Army in 2007 and had no previous deployments, Sussman said. She said Hutchinson is no longer in a relationship with the father.

The Army requires all single-parent soldiers to submit a care plan for dependent children before they can deploy to a combat zone.

Hutchinson had such a plan — her mother, Angelique Hughes, had agreed to care for the boy. Hughes said Monday she kept the boy for about two weeks in October before deciding she couldn't keep him for a full year.

Hughes said she's already having to care for her ailing mother and sister, as well as a daughter with special needs. She also runs a daycare center at her home, keeping about 14 children during the day.

"This is an infant, and they require 24-hour care," Hughes said. "It was very, very stressful, just too much for me to deal with."

Hughes said she returned Kamani to his mother in Georgia a few days before her scheduled deployment Nov. 5.

She said they told her daughter's commanders they needed more time to find another family member or close friend to help Hughes care for the boy, but Hutchinson was ordered to deploy on schedule.

Larson, the Army post spokesman, said officials planned to keep Hutchinson in Georgia as investigators gathered facts about the case.

"Spc. Hutchinson's deployment is halted," Larson said. "There will be no deployment while this situation is ongoing."

___

Russ Bynum has covered the military based in Georgia since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

then she should pay back all the pay she has recieved fraudelently since her enlistment. the job entails going overseas if you can't do it don't take the money. too many people join for three hots and a cot, then when it's time to do their job they want to run and hide. BS.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Maybe people should think first before having a child?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
then she should pay back all the pay she has recieved fraudelently since her enlistment. the job entails going overseas if you can't do it don't take the money. too many people join for three hots and a cot, then when it's time to do their job they want to run and hide. BS.
Truth!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Maybe people should think first before having a child?
If they did brooklyns population would be cut in half

I say sucks to be her, it snot like its a regular job and they were shipping you out. You took an oath to make that commitment so live up to it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

But the bigger question here is, whats the REAL Story?

Granted all you guys speak truth, she shouldnt have signed up or had a kid if she couldnt meet her commitment, but no military division is going to ship you off if there is no other care taker for your kid.

People who run into that issue just arent shipped off. Shoot, I know married military members who get out of orders because their kid has asthma and "needs" both parents because of the "special" need. Im calling BS on her story.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
But the bigger question here is, whats the REAL Story?

Granted all you guys speak truth, she shouldnt have signed up or had a kid if she couldnt meet her commitment, but no military division is going to ship you off if there is no other care taker for your kid.

People who run into that issue just arent shipped off. Shoot, I know married military members who get out of orders because their kid has asthma and "needs" both parents because of the "special" need. Im calling BS on her story.
Exactly. But using logic to think about the "real" story is frowned upon around these parts.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Exactly. But using logic to think about the "real" story is frowned upon around these parts.
EEK! I forgot!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

All she has to do is put in for a Hardship, and she won't have to go on the deployment.
We had quite a few people put in for hardships before we got deployed. We have also had a couple sent home because of hardships that have come up since we left.

Sometimes things happen in life that you have no control over that warrant a hardship. If you are able to put in a hardship every time your unit gets deployed for a 20+ year career, you probably shouldn't have joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

The way I read it, she had a plan for her child but that situation fell through 5 days before the deployment.

Seems to me she did everything right. What is done is done, she has a child, I'm not going to judge her for that...who hasn't made a mistake, trusted the wrong guy, not been exactly religious about birth control (hell, the pill is only 97% effective).

Cut the girl some slack.

Maybe, just maybe, the Army was, perhaps, not quite so flexible or willing to help this person out.

But hell, let's all rush to judgement...
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote