Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #21
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Unauthorized recording of audio without a warrant is a Federal not a state offense. It appears that the state prosecutor is using this fact to bully this guy.
This in fact means if you use your cell phone to capture audio without the consent of another you can be prosecuted. The fact that it was spontaneous meaning that no plan was made to record the officer and if no threat was made based on the existence of the recording meaning "Drop the Charge or I release the recording" conviction is unlikely.
How is that charge possible? That is, in Texas it is legal to record any conversation as long as at least one party is aware. What you're saying.... this could trump that?

Kaneman, I'm in your camp on this.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Fucking cops...fucking laws...both fucking suck.

This country is turning into nothing more than a legal shitpile of laws to try to control every aspect of our lives.

I hope this makes Fox News.....

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Unauthorized recording of audio without a warrant is a Federal not a state offense. It appears that the state prosecutor is using this fact to bully this guy.
This in fact means if you use your cell phone to capture audio without the consent of another you can be prosecuted. The fact that it was spontaneous meaning that no plan was made to record the officer and if no threat was made based on the existence of the recording meaning "Drop the Charge or I release the recording" conviction is unlikely.
First of all,
Unauthorized (meaning recording in away that violates federal law )recording of audio is a Federal offense

Recording without a warrant simply means that you cannot use the audio against someone in court because its unconstitutional. (due process)

If I remember correctly, under federal law ONE party has to be aware of the recording and a party to the conversation. In other words, you can record your interaction with another but you cannot record when you are a third party.

There are several states (state law) that require all parties to be notified of the recording;
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington.

In the case of the guy in question, he was not recording "the officer". The officer rudely interrupted a private recording and when the officer asked the individual to shut off the camera he did. Though Maryland allegedly has a law regulating recorded conversations SURPRISE that is a state law. Since the there is no indication that the officer was the target of the recording and it is quite apparent that the guy was simply recording his own personal activity there is no reason for him to be charge much less convicted.

Its like walking in on someone taking private notes on a voice recorder, yell at the guy to shut it off then charge him for recording you telling him to shut it off.

The standard that they apply here means that any security camera in a public place may be illegal.

more details

Officials Upset Over Posted Traffic Stop Video

Video of a traffic stop in Maryland is now spreading across YouTube. It's a video that's landed one man in serious trouble with the law.
As Kelly McPherson reports, police are now going after the man with the camera.

It was a highway confrontation caught on camera.

"Get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle. Get off the motorcycle, state police," yelled the officer involved.

The video is causing a stir online, but also with state police and now the Harford County State's Attorney.

Fitted with a helmet camera, Anthony Graber was recording his ride when an unmarked trooper car pulled him over for speeding.

"I was afraid. I thought the person -- at the time I didn't know it was an officer -- was going to shoot me," said Graber.

The father of two and Air National Guardsman could go to prison for recording the audio of the traffic stop ultimately because he posted it on YouTube.

"I posted it on YouTube because my mom was worried about the legality of it, and she was upset that a police officer pulled a firearm on me because I'm not a criminal," said Graber.

"When that plainclothes trooper witnessed this, initially he got out of his car, he held that gun at his side, momentarily. When he saw the situation was under control he quickly put it away. He never pointed it at the individual. We think he acted appropriately," said Greg Shipley, Maryland State Police.

State police saw the video online, reopened the investigation and turned Graber's traffic ticket into reckless and negligent driving charges.

"Anybody driving over 100 miles per hour on one wheel up Interstate 95 ought to expect to be pulled over," said Shipley.

Maryland is a two-party consent state. That means you can't record somebody without telling them. It's a felony to break that law.

That's exactly what state police told the motorcyclist when they came to his house more than a month after he'd been pulled over.

"I don't want to go to jail. I haven't really done anything wrong. It wasn't a violent crime. No one was injured. No one was hurt," said Graber.

The Harford County State's Attorney is handling the case, but has not charged the motorcyclist.
http://wjz.com/local/traffic.stop.yo...2.1621320.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer

Last edited by pauldun170; 04-12-2010 at 11:11 PM..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #24
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Fucking cops...fucking laws...both fucking suck.

This country is turning into nothing more than a legal shitpile of laws to try to control every aspect of our lives.

I hope this makes Fox News.....
If this story makes the major outlets, it will likely be an anecdote on the speeding \ dangerous behavior on those 200mph racebikes allowed to be sold to the public followed by the "there should be a law banning those things" segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #25
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
How is that charge possible? That is, in Texas it is legal to record any conversation as long as at least one party is aware. What you're saying.... this could trump that?

Kaneman, I'm in your camp on this.
First the Disclaimer I am not a Lawyer. But yes Audio Recording without a mutual consent or a warrant as I understand it is illegal under federal statutes. "That is why if you have ever been in a jail you will see signs that phones are monitored or recorded. Again I am not the expert and you should check locally but non consensual recordings as I understand it are illegal.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #26
was92v
Nowhere Man

beep

Last edited by was92v; 05-14-2010 at 08:05 PM..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #27
Rider
Moto GP Star

He is allowed to record himself. His intent was not to record the officer. He simply did not have time to turn the recording device off before the officer ID'd himself. So I don't believe this guy did anything wrong because there was no intent. I believe this will be thrown out of court.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
"Anybody driving over 100 miles per hour on one wheel up Interstate 95 ought to expect to be pulled over"
Given that he's military, he'll definitely get some heat for this
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #29
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

"When that plainclothes trooper witnessed this, initially he got out of his car, he held that gun at his side, momentarily. When he saw the situation was under control he quickly put it away. He never pointed it at the individual. We think he acted appropriately," said Greg Shipley, Maryland State Police.
This is what pisses me off the most about the whole deal. How can they say that pulling a gun in a traffic stop right off the bat is appropriate?
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
This is what pisses me off the most about the whole deal. How can they say that pulling a gun in a traffic stop right off the bat is appropriate?
Because they're cops dude, that's pretty much what they do. Cops think everything should be a shock and awe campaign.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote