Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT
Default Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees
Freedom of expression or cultural disrespect on Cinco de Mayo?
By GEORGE KIRIYAMA
Updated 7:58 AM PDT, Thu, May 6, 2010

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident.

The boys will not be suspended and they were told they can go back to school Thursday. They may even wear their red, white, and blue colors again, but this time, the day after Cinco de Mayo, there will be no controversy.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Fuck them, this isn't Mexico. Those kids should be allowed to wear a US flag on their shirt any time they want. That's it, next Christmas and Easter I'm wearing a 666 shirt.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
shmike
Follower

What a fucking joke.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

I don't even have the words for this level of stupidity
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

The fucking mexicans should go the fuck back to mexico and drink their shitty mexican beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Wow. The US is turning into Mexico by osmosis.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

That is fucking bullshit.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Point #1 - If there isn't a dress code and if the clothing isn't obviously offensive in nature, then there should be no reason why it cannot be worn.

Point #2 - That a GROUP of students who were sitting together just randomly happened to be wearing American flag bandannas and T-shirts belies credibility. They were trying to be inflammatory.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Point #1 - If there isn't a dress code and if the clothing isn't obviously offensive in nature, then there should be no reason why it cannot be worn.

Point #2 - That a GROUP of students who were sitting together just randomly happened to be wearing American flag bandannas and T-shirts belies credibility. They were trying to be inflammatory.
points for the points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
True, but would a group of students wearing Mexican flag t-shirts on the 4th of July be asked to remove them? I kind of doubt it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote