Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
NO OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY ADOPT A POLICY THAT LIMITS OR RESTRICTS THE ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS TO LESS THAN THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY FEDERAL LAW.
Arizona has now annointed itself a division of the Department of Homeland Security.

Quote:
FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON.
Quote:
A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.

As the new self appointed Homeland Security enforcers, cops now get to use the "REASONABLE SUSPICION" probable cause card to get their quota on.
White people generally do not understand why this is such a big deal, but most minorities do. Blacks are REAL familiar with this.
Generally its this vague section of the law that has caused the stink. Its not that (the stink about) Arizona wants to get all hardcore bout immigration. Its because their are millions of americans who have spent there lives dealing with being pulled over and questioned by police simply because of their color. Its folks who have dealth with being pulled over and questioned for driving through a neighborhood where they "don't fit in". Its being harrased for having a conversation in public on a sidewalk.

This issue with this law in Arizona is not so much that mexicans (legal are not) will have to deal with continual butt hurt every time they wear flannel or get caught in a pickup.
The issue is that a lot of Americans have negative experiences with law enforcement abusing power and violating basic rights of citizens and the law in question legitimizes that practice. Specifically if you have look spanish (I'm old school so go fuck your self with "Spain is in europe, your supposed to say Latin American"

Yall should be happy I'm not going around saying colored's and nips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

LA should leave federal policy to the feds. Pandering for votes is just a distraction...but they know that, that's why they're doing it.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
White people generally do not understand why this is such a big deal, but most minorities do. Blacks are REAL familiar with this.
Exactly.

If Arizona's immigration problems stemmed from an influx of pasty faced overwieght Scotsmen, people would be shitting kittens over this law.

JC
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
LA should leave federal policy to the feds. Pandering for votes is just a distraction...but they know that, that's why they're doing it.
I doubt its about pandering, Im pretty sure that most of LA's city council would be considered suspicious by Arizona's standards.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I doubt its about pandering, Im pretty sure that most of LA's city council would be considered suspicious by Arizona's standards.
Ineffective laws that do nothing would be pandering in my book.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It's pandering. The only reason LA is boycotting AZ is because of all their Hispanic voters. Same with San Diego.

In fact I'm sick of how this entire country panders to Mexico. Fuck em, IMO. Why even have laws, if they're not going to be enforced?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
This I can agree with. Nice way to call a bluff.

It's a Fourth amendment issue.

Being brown, is not probable cause.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

I would think most darker skinned Americans, would consider being pulled over for driving while brown, to be unreasonable.

JC
Is looking different not probable cause when the whole idea behind the law is that people who look different are there illegally?

Seems like there would be a lot of cases thrown out of court since most times people are arrested based on a physical description..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Is looking different not probable cause when the whole idea behind the law is that people who look different are there illegally?
No, because there are tons of people in Arizona who "look different", who are there perfectly legally.

Quote:
Seems like there would be a lot of cases thrown out of court since most times people are arrested based on a physical description..
One of these works, one doesn't:

It was a white guy.

It was a large white guy, about 6'2", 210 pounds, green eyes, brown hair, wearing a red shirt and blue pants.

The first description is completely worthless. The second at least narrows it down to a reasonable suspicion of said white guy.

JC
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
No, because there are tons of people in Arizona who "look different", who are there perfectly legally.

One of these works, one doesn't:

It was a white guy.

It was a large white guy, about 6'2", 210 pounds, green eyes, brown hair, wearing a red shirt and blue pants.

The first description is completely worthless. The second at least narrows it down to a reasonable suspicion of said white guy.

JC
But, how many 6'2" 210lb white guys might have their rights violated because of this?

I'm not going to debate the issue too much, but you have to see what I was saying.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
But, how many 6'2" 210lb white guys might have their rights violated because of this?
Three.

Quote:
I'm not going to debate the issue too much, but you have to see what I was saying.
I do, and that's what worries me.

Here's the part nobody seems to have figured out:

Racial profiling is against the law. So, the cops will figure out that the only way to not be accused of racial profiling, is to pull over random white, black, beige and awkwardly tanned orange people.

Goodbye 4th amendment, it was great knowing you.

JC