Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
get those on many sites, doing the thousand point checks before every ride. best part is I remember most of that stuff as I am a mile away from home LOL
I check chain tension with the kick into first
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
with the buell I need to check the air pressures more esp if it sits for a while, front seems tohave a slow leak, one ride it was at 15psi, no wonder the bike couldnt turn worth a shit LOL
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
with the buell I need to check the air pressures more esp if it sits for a while, front seems tohave a slow leak, one ride it was at 15psi, no wonder the bike couldnt turn worth a shit LOL
Check the valve stem/cap, my GF's valve stem was loose and was letting air out. Tightened it up and now it's perfect.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Check the valve stem/cap, my GF's valve stem was loose and was letting air out. Tightened it up and now it's perfect.
Will do
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yea that's another thing about chains... some of these guys 1, over-tighten their chains or do it improperly and 2, do it way too often prematurely stretching their chain out. I haven't adjusted my chain since last year and sure it's a little loose but who cares? Another thing is, a lot of these knuckleheads, don't find the tightest part of the chain before they adjust it and end up with tight spots that evolve into stretched spots which might account for their chain breaking problems...
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Will do
Even if it doesn't seem loose, put a few drops of water in it and see if they bubble out. It might just be a bad stem seal.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yea that's another thing about chains... some of these guys 1, over-tighten their chains or do it improperly and 2, do it way too often prematurely stretching their chain out. I haven't adjusted my chain since last year and sure it's a little loose but who cares? Another thing is, a lot of these knuckleheads, don't find the tightest part of the chain before they adjust it and end up with tight spots that evolve into stretched spots which might account for their chain breaking problems...
Guys at the track see it a lot, they wont pass guys at tech if the chains are too tight. My chains I am usualy prety good with esp withthe priller riding on the jobsites, a lot of dirt/dust and debris floating around so I clean it prety regualrly, got over 18k on the last chain/sprockets so I cant complain.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Yea, but for every idiot that over tightens their chain, there are two who don't ever tighten it. I had a buddy that said his cbr was acting like a dog last summer. I looked at plugs and air filters... got around to the back of the bike and his chain was drooping to the fucking ground. (exaggeration) He got it fixed and it went back to normal.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Yea, but for every idiot that over tightens their chain, there are two who don't ever tighten it. I had a buddy that said his cbr was acting like a dog last summer. I looked at plugs and air filters... got around to the back of the bike and his chain was drooping to the fucking ground. (exaggeration) He got it fixed and it went back to normal.
So a loose chain will cause your bike to lose hp?........ : : X 1,000,000,000,000 + 4,356

The only thing that will happen if you REALLY let your chain get loose is that it can come off, slide on the sprocket, slap the swing arm, stuff like that.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I do a full check once a month, before I teach MSF. Having a shaft drive eliminates a lot of that, as long as my drive parts aren't leaking anything significant it's good. I pretty much check oil, tire pressure, and my clutch cable. After that lights are all that's left.