Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #61
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
About time those fat cat teachers got taken down a notch.
LOL like teachers get paid enough for all the bullshit they deal with. Education should be the #1 priority of this nation.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #62
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
USW Local 7085. Union Proud.
Can I assume, then, that if your union were required to have a vote every year to stay in existence, you and your fellow union members would have no problem showing up to vote yea? And that you and your fellow union members would have no problem keeping your union funded through voluntary dues?

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #63
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Here in the states you can demand rebates on dues for activities not related to collective bargaining.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...=431&invol=209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Can I assume, then, that if your union were required to have a vote every year to stay in existence, you and your fellow union members would have no problem showing up to vote yea? And that you and your fellow union members would have no problem keeping your union funded through voluntary dues?
It would be fiscally irresponsible to have a scheduled vote for union continuance, every year. It forces the union to bear an unnecessary cost. Simply stating requirements for union decertification would be sufficient.

And that comes from a union member, who would prefer not to be one.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #65
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It would be fiscally irresponsible to have a scheduled vote for union continuance, every year. It forces the union to bear an unnecessary cost. Simply stating requirements for union decertification would be sufficient.

And that comes from a union member, who would prefer not to be one.
That argument makes sense, but it is not the argument generally being presented. The argument generally being presented, especially by the protestors, looks more to me like ZOMG YOU'RE ATTACKING UNIONS AND WORKERS AND DRIVING US TO SLAVE WAGES AND FORNICATING WITH OUR UNDERAGE DAUGHTERS YOU FASCIST PEDOPHILE!!!

Out of curiosity, do you think a three, five, or ten year period between votes for continuance would be feasible?

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #66
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Even our "union free" districts have unions

Knowing plenty of teachers, including some principals I'd have to say I'm neutral on the teachers unions. Their compensation is reasonable for the area.

The big thing that seems to have fucked us (locally) over in terms of quality of education and cost of education are lawyers and No child Left Behind. Thats followed by idiots who think our schools have to be tachno whizbang state of the art. SO much money pissed right down the toilet because some old fucktard thinks we need state of the art this and state of the art that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #67
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Even our "union free" districts have unions

Knowing plenty of teachers, including some principals I'd have to say I'm neutral on the teachers unions. Their compensation is reasonable for the area.

The big thing that seems to have fucked us (locally) over in terms of quality of education and cost of education are lawyers and No child Left Behind. Thats followed by idiots who think our schools have to be tachno whizbang state of the art. SO much money pissed right down the toilet because some old fucktard thinks we need state of the art this and state of the art that...
True. I dealt with a new high school that was being built a while back. The tech ed department in that district bought a computer for each desk in their two assigned classrooms, which cost around $100k. I was back about a month after the school opened and probably 10% of those computers were already broken. I heard the tech ed department eventually moved them to a magnet school where the students were actually interested in using them as computers rather than punching bags and fodder for "what happens if I shove my pencil in here" experiments.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #68
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
That argument makes sense, but it is not the argument generally being presented. The argument generally being presented, especially by the protestors, looks more to me like ZOMG YOU'RE ATTACKING UNIONS AND WORKERS AND DRIVING US TO SLAVE WAGES AND FORNICATING WITH OUR UNDERAGE DAUGHTERS YOU FASCIST PEDOPHILE!!!

Out of curiosity, do you think a three, five, or ten year period between votes for continuance would be feasible?
I try to be reasonable, in my statements. It's one of the reasons why I'm not cut out for either government OR union work

If what I stated was done, then there would be no need for periodic votes, for the continuance of the union. An outside agency shouldn't be able to FORCE such a thing; it should be left to the members, in a given area/local.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #69
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I've taught in both the US and Canada. I definitely prefere to teach in Canada. No child left behind is a waste of money. I made 42k after 5 years teaching in Texas. I have two degrees. I spent half my summer at workshops taking training which was unpaid yet mandatory. I was at school by 7 am and rarely left before 430 or 5. I took home marking and planning with me every night. I spent half of sundays getting ready for monday and grading work. I was no part-time worker. I also worked in one of the highest paying districts around

Here I make almost double. Work more days. Just as much planning and marking time n similiar time requirements and 6 weeks off in summer. We also have a kick ass mandatory union that fights for us.

Teachers in the US don't make near what they deserve. Many states can't afford to provide teachers medical and dental benefits. I worked with a lot of people from different states that moved to Texas because they would have made much less than 30k a year and no benefits in their home state.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote