Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Large, well-organized gangs like MS-13 wouldn't exist if illegal trades such as the drug trade didn't exist. Instead, gangs would just stay small and local, i.e. simply for the purpose of brotherhood or for protecting their rinky-dink neighborhood.
They would still be criminal enterprises stealing cars or soem other stuff, but the drug money is so lucrative, gangs keep upping the ante to protect their turf. You get a few of these guys who are smart and/or good leaders and they can clean up while the soldiers do all the dirty work.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Because BC Bud is the best bud.
As long as BC bud is grown by legal Canadian citizens, who don't commit violent crime, I'm cool with it. I don't use pot, so I know nothing about how it works up there.

Down here in Cali though, a lot of it is grown by illegal aliens who set up shop in a national forest.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #23
shmike
Follower

Quote:
As long as BC bud is grown by legal Canadian citizens, who don't commit violent crime, I'm cool with it. I don't use pot, so I know nothing about how it works up there.

Down here in Cali though, a lot of it is grown by illegal aliens who set up shop in a national forest.
Are those illegal aliens Canadian or do you just hate brown people?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Wyatt Earp had the right idea and policy when it came to dealing with gangs
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Large, well-organized gangs like MS-13 wouldn't exist if illegal trades such as the drug trade didn't exist. Instead, gangs would just stay small and local, i.e. simply for the purpose of brotherhood or for protecting their rinky-dink neighborhood.
That's a bold statement that flies in the face of my understanding of history. People always find a reason to kill each other, and smart opportunists always find a way to build empires from those conflicts.

But while we're on the subject, you said "such as the drug trade." This is a sentiment that illustrates my point: even if the drug trade didn't exist, criminal gangs would find something else to make money off of and kill people over. Illegal trades will always exist wherever there are laws.

So the question becomes, should we keep importing criminals or are the ones we have within our own borders enough? This is an open border issue. You can't bail out the floodwater until you plug the leak.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #26
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Sounds like you figured it out OK.

Why wouldn't you want it grown by a US citizen?
If I got it right, then it's definitely the weirdest thing I've read all morning.

Maybe things are different in medicinal-mj-California (I left almost a decade ago), but I don't remember any pot smoker I knew caring all that much about who specifically grew their pot.

You think all that produce at Whole Foods got harvested by US citizens?
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
They would still be criminal enterprises stealing cars or soem other stuff...
And with cars all starting to come with on-star and gps programs where a company can shut down a car, it'll make stealing cars pretty worthless in the not to far future.

If drugs were legal, okay I hate saying legal because it implies the government has the ability to allow us to do what we want to our body, if the prohibition of drugs were repealed (from pot to heroine and Rx pills) then we'd benefit. The dead-beat junkie who can now get smack for $.10 a gallon will OD and die anyways. So no need to worry about them there. The pot head glued to the latest episode of ATHF while eating doritos can now go get a job selling his bubonic chronic and doritos (open from 8pm-3:30am). And the pill head can stop bugging doctors, clogging up ERs, and costing tax payers money for their visit when they can stop by Bubonic Chronics for the best lortabs that money can buy (for about $10 a bottle).

And as Tommymac said, they'd be stuck robbing college kids of their iPods or shooting each other for a graffitied wall or dusty villiage or villiago (however you say villiage in spanish)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
If I got it right, then it's definitely the weirdest thing I've read all morning.

Maybe things are different in medicinal-mj-California (I left almost a decade ago), but I don't remember any pot smoker I knew caring all that much about who specifically grew their pot.

You think all that produce at Whole Foods got harvested by US citizens?
As I said, I don't do pot, nor do I pretend to know anything about the medical marijuana industry or anything of that nature. All of that is irrelevant anyway.

What's relevant is, who's producing the product, and is that person associated with an organization that kills people, or takes money from our economy and moves it elsewhere? And if they are, why wouldn't you at least PREFER to buy it from someone else, or make it yourself?

I'm struggling to understand why you think my opinion is so strange.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-18-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
As I said, I don't do pot, nor do I pretend to know anything about the medical marijuana industry or anything of that nature. All of that is irrelevant anyway.

What's relevant is, who's producing the product, and does that person harm me or others? And if they are, why wouldn't you buy it from someone else, or make it yourself?

I'm struggling to understand why you think my opinion is so strange.
I know it's not quite the same scale, but do you care that your Apple products were made in the conditions they were made in? They did have to install suicide nets at one of their chinese factories.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I know it's not quite the same scale, but do you care that your Apple products were made in the conditions they were made in? They did have to install suicide nets at one of their chinese factories.
You just proved that my argument isn't so strange. It's very similar to yours.

Tons of people also say we shouldn't buy products that employ child labor, or buy food from large farms that abuse animals or over-use pesticides. I don't see how my argument is all that different. The only question is whether someone cares about those issues. If they do, why not look for alternatives.