EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Clunkers out of cash.

Quote:
New funding sought for U.S. "clunker" program

By John Crawley
Fri Jul 31, 4:08 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. government's $1 billion "cash for clunkers" auto sales incentive program reached its funding limit unexpectedly after an avalanche of business exhausted its funds, an Obama administration official said late Thursday.
Auto dealers began offering government-backed rebates in early July of up to $4,500 to consumers who traded-in their gas-guzzlers for more fuel-efficient vehicles.
But the Transportation Department will need additional cash after rebates for nearly 250,000 vehicles jammed the pipeline nationwide.
The White House was working with Congress to try to extend funding as lawmakers prepared to leave town for the month of August, according to the official who was not authorized to speak for attribution.
The program was part of a congressional effort to revive slumping U.S. sales and further help domestic automakers, especially General Motors Corp and Chrysler Group that briefly went bankrupt.
Sales unexpectedly spiked this week after the government began logging transactions and approving rebates that indicated consumers were opting for vehicles that get significantly better gas mileage than the models they were trading in.
The end of the month is usually the busiest time for auto dealers and automakers that have matched the government benefit.
Initially, congressional and industry officials signaled that the program was going to be suspended late Thursday or early Friday as funding ran out.
The administration opted to keep the program in place while it sought new money. It was not clear where the administration would find additional funding in a short period of time.
"We hope there's a will and a way to keep the program going a bit longer," General Motors said in a statement. "Any doubt that the program would jump-start auto sales is completely erased."
An estimated 16,000 dealers were eligible for the program and each would have to sell more than a dozen vehicles at the maximum rebate to reach the government's funding limit, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.
U.S. Senators Dianne Feinstein of California and Susan Collins of Maine said any extension of the incentive must require greater fuel efficiency and higher reductions of auto emissions.
Congress wrestled with both issues when it established the current incentive to give U.S. manufacturers a better chance of qualifying for the program.
U.S. auto manufacturers are scheduled to report their July sales next week.
It was unclear how the program that was to run into the fall was impacting sales at individual companies, including Asian manufacturers like Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T) and Honda Motor Co. (7267.T) that make the most fuel efficient cars on the road.
Nevertheless, analysts expected the program, if utilized fully, to push U.S. sales above 10 million units for 2009, higher than the annual rate so far this year. That would represent a modest jump for an industry that has endured a severe slide in business during the recession.
(Writing by John Crawley; Editing by Philip Barbara)
. . .
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

I'm amazed that a quarter million people can afford a new vehicle in this economy.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
I'm amazed that a quarter million people can afford a new vehicle in this economy.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Most people already have a car payment so getting a new car won't change their financial status. I have 1 car that's paid for and 1 one that I am leasing. When my lease iis up next year, I'll get something new. GM isn't leasing anymore, so I'll either need to buy a new car or find another manufacturer that still does leasing.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Aug 2010: Car repossession hits all time high
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Most people already have a car payment so getting a new car won't change their financial status. I have 1 car that's paid for and 1 one that I am leasing. When my lease iis up next year, I'll get something new. GM isn't leasing anymore, so I'll either need to buy a new car or find another manufacturer that still does leasing.
I know there are some, but how many people still have payments on a car worth less than $4k. Also, you had to have the title in hand to take advantage of this program, so how many of those that still have payments could afford to pay off their loan early. You couldn't use a leased vehicle as your clunker either.

I guess the credit crunch is over (for now). I think you may be right SteveP.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Program looks to be back on.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/31/auto...date/index.htm
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Auto dealers began offering government-backed rebates in early July of up to $4,500
up to $4,500 based on what? its MPG, or its trade-in value?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
up to $4,500 based on what? its MPG, or its trade-in value?
MPG. The new car has to get better gas mileage than the old car and the old car has to get below 18MPG combined MPG.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm in the same boat but twice over. Lease both my lincoln and the chevy. I'm not sure what we will do. I may consider buying out the lincoln. But with the chevy, being I have the new hd I don't plan on pulling trailers anymore, so I'm going to downgrade. Thinking HHR SS Panel. Can get it for $20k.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote