Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I guess that is it. I think in the late 90s you could just get a Bachelors in pharmacy to work as a pharmacist. It seems now you need the PharmD.
I think it was 5 yrs then too. When I first graduated I started in St johns pharmacy program then switched to pre med then was asked not to come back

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I think it was 5 yrs then too. When I first graduated I started in St johns pharmacy program then switched to pre med then was asked not to come back

Tom
Not sure if it varies by state, but I've heard of people being 6 and 8 year pharm programs. Now maybe they needed 8 years to finish a 5 year degree but
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Not sure if it varies by state, but I've heard of people being 6 and 8 year pharm programs. Now maybe they needed 8 years to finish a 5 year degree but
It could be now for all I know. My fiancees sis in law is a pharmacist, I could ask her but that would require me talking to her and I try to avoid doing that whenever possible

Tom
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Gee... look Petro industry... SURPRISE!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
tommymac
Moto GP Star

What did surprise me is at these construction sites, what some of the tradesmen make. Some trades are up over 70 bucks an hr. then again its a tough life beteween the work they do and its not always steady work.

Tom
Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

I'm a ChemE, and yes the money is good.......if you can find a job! I'm lucky to be where I'm at, but decent ChemE jobs are hard to find, especially in a good location.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Shit makes me want to go back to school...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Shit makes me want to go back to school...
Not me. Those jobs dont make enough money to make me want to go back. I'll keep my job, pays better than them anyway!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
I think pharmacy is 5 yrs, PA is 4 yrs and is still a BS (many programs are moving o a masters degree) Last I checked out avg starting salaries is around 70 or 75 as well.

Tom
I know a girl getting her Pharmacy degree and it's 6years in Georgia. PA (Physicians Assistant?) is a 4year degree and they make crazy money. My buddy's wife is a Medical Assistant (or something like that) and her doctor has a 22year old girl working there who makes $150k a year as a Physicians Assistant.

My buddy's gf is getting her masters I think for Occupational Therapist. When my buddy got into a car wreck he had one come in and she just made him walk his fingers up the wall for his shoulder and then saw on his bill he was charged out the ass for it. It pissed him off but made him happy at the same time.

My buddy's GF is also friends of a bunch of pharmacy students since she goes to the Medical College of Georgia and he got to hang out with a bunch of pharmacy graduates. He said they were all as dumb as bricks, hot, and making $100k+ at low-mid 20s years of age and they confessed that the Pharmacy Techs do all of the real work.

Her brother is fixing to start residency/internship and qualified to become a resident in any field he wants to do. He's shooting for Neuroscience but is scared about government healthcare and might become a plastic surgeon.

My friend is a Mechanical Engineer and started at 55k and is now making around 60k before taxes.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA
Lightbulb

Quote:
What did surprise me is at these construction sites, what some of the tradesmen make. Some trades are up over 70 bucks an hr. then again its a tough life beteween the work they do and its not always steady work.

Tom
The rates for building trades that you're referring to are the 'billing' rates, company to company. The actual tradesmen make MUCH less than that - unless they're working for themselves. It is a tough life and not particularly steady work, but its very satisfying (more so than IT/IS/Telecom "geek" work). Fuck desk jobs, they all suck.
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote