Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

That's one of the biggest problems with recent college grad's... They all think they know everything and are entitled to a $50k/yr job right off the bat. College recruiters don't help that shit by giving unrealistic numbers based off people who are at the top of the class and have real work experience.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

That's the problem with college IMO. Its not all that. Real work expierence in the field is starting to trump the degree. The idea that everybody must go to college to get a good job is FLAWED.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
That's the problem with college IMO. Its not all that. Real work expierence in the field is starting to trump the degree. The idea that everybody must go to college to get a good job is FLAWED.
The problem is that these days, everyone and their mother has a degree, so it has becomes a REQUIREMENT for many jobs, even when it's not necessary at all. The employer only lists it as a requirement because they think it's an easy way to weed out people who don't have the degree. That way, they don't have to do the hard work of actually reading the resumes. Those without a degree are forced to seek alternative means of contacting that employer so that they don't get weeded out.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
That's one of the biggest problems with recent college grad's... They all think they know everything and are entitled to a $50k/yr job right off the bat. College recruiters don't help that shit by giving unrealistic numbers based off people who are at the top of the class and have real work experience.
Sure, if you consider 20+ years to be 'recent.' I was fed the same line when I started college in the early '80s, during the IT boom. Problem was like any boom, it went bust. In my case the job market busted while I was in 2nd year, because everyone's cousin's sister's roommate decided that IT was the way to go.

I should have stuck with microwave comm.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Fact...they get smoke blown up their azzes and then many come out of school pounding their chest just to get disappointed when they realize how the real world can be.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco View Post
smittie, if you hadn't royaly fucked up your life and ended up going to college and got out and had to work at a burger place, wouldn't you be pissed off too?
Nope. I'd be damn happy I had a job and would work there until something I wanted came about. That bitch probably didn't spend 1 single penny of her own money (except to buy a morning after pill) for that degree anyways. Is she going to refund her parents for what they spent?

Maybe if she (or others) got a degree that 10million other graduates don't have then she'd have a job in a heart beat. My buddy got a MET and had a job before he got out of college making $55k. Another buddy just graduated with a MET and got a job with the foam they put in the seats of most car manufactures making $42k after he finally got up and looked for a job. He worked at Target after his graduation stocking supplies.

It just bugs the shit out of me when people bitch about how they can't get this and can't get that when all they have to do is apply themselves.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Nope. I'd be damn happy I had a job and would work there until something I wanted came about. That bitch probably didn't spend 1 single penny of her own money (except to buy a morning after pill) for that degree anyways. Is she going to refund her parents for what they spent?

Maybe if she (or others) got a degree that 10million other graduates don't have then she'd have a job in a heart beat. My buddy got a MET and had a job before he got out of college making $55k. Another buddy just graduated with a MET and got a job with the foam they put in the seats of most car manufactures making $42k after he finally got up and looked for a job. He worked at Target after his graduation stocking supplies.

It just bugs the shit out of me when people bitch about how they can't get this and can't get that when all they have to do is apply themselves.

but doesn't it also piss you off that colleges think it is ok to mislead people. i just saw an ITT tech commercial talking about their accredited bachellor degree programs and at the end in fine print it says that it's not accredited. the same with colleges that offer unique programs that are job specific without telling the student that most jobs require a degree in something completely different. i think the bitch should shut the fuck up too but i don't think colleges should be able to get away with half of what they do
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
but doesn't it also piss you off that colleges think it is ok to mislead people. i just saw an ITT tech commercial talking about their accredited bachellor degree programs and at the end in fine print it says that it's not accredited. the same with colleges that offer unique programs that are job specific without telling the student that most jobs require a degree in something completely different. i think the bitch should shut the fuck up too but i don't think colleges should be able to get away with half of what they do
Understandable but that's why I talked to people and did research before I chose the degree I'm pursuing (radiology technology) and looked into the school. I trust TV schools as much as I trust TV lawyers. Hell, when I first thought about being a radiographer I thought I was going to be a "radiologist" which is a doctor until I was corrected by a rad tech worker.

I do love how in a couple classes the teacher had the students stand up and state what they were doing. Almost half of the students were going for something in IT or computer stuff. Only one time did I have another person in my class in the radiology program. The IT stuff seems over saturated but maybe there is that much demand.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

problem is these schools advertize the fact that the industry is growing and there are tons of jobs out there when you graduate and they say they'll help find them. the colleges need to stop bullshitting people and the bitch needs to get a job in the meantime.
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
problem is these schools advertize the fact that the industry is growing and there are tons of jobs out there when you graduate and they say they'll help find them. the colleges need to stop bullshitting people and the bitch needs to get a job in the meantime.
I think there are two different problems:

First there are the adult education schools that really mislead people. They play commercials at 11 AM during Maury Povich saying that in 6 months you can learn to be medical assistant and get a job and a new house as soon as you graduate. Those commercials are pretty misleading but at the same time their gread toward adults who have been in the workforce for a while and should know enough to do some research.

The other problem is the way our high schools funnel students into 4-year colleges by making them feel like their only options are college, the Army, or McDonalds. The result is thousands of college freshmen who have no clue about what they want to do or what theyre good at so they get psychology and business degrees because it sounds good.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote