Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes
Default coolant temp switch

so, i know alot of ppl just add a toggle switch inline when their stock coolant switch goes bad, or when they want the power to turn the fans on whenever they want, but what i want(and what makes the most sense imo) is a fan switch that switches on at a lower temp. i cant imagine that every fan switch comes on at the same temp, or at the very least someone would make an adjustable one for custom applications. but i cant find any info on it. anybody here attempt to do this?

the bike is a '00 750, but this would apply to all bikes id think.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Dnyce
flyin high

no one has fooled around with this eh?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Nope, dude. That's out of my league
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

http://www.summitracing.com/search/V.../?autoview=SKU

Blammo. Had one on the shelby. Worked alright, setting it is a bit finicky though.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
goof2
AMA Supersport

All I've seen before is what you mentioned, a switch that bypasses the temp sensor and sends power to the fan regardless of coolant temp. Depending on how your bike's fan is triggered it may be more of a pain in the ass to do what you are talking about.

If the fan is triggered off the sensor that sends temp information to the digital display it wouldn't be too difficult to change the electrical value the fan switch sees to make it think the bike is hotter than it really is. On my bike (01 R6) it doesn't work that way. The fan is triggered off of a separate system. Instead of the temp sender it uses a separate thermo switch that trips closed at 105C and trips open at 100C. I would either need to find a replacement that fits my bike and trips at a different set of temps I'm happy with (probably pretty unlikely since most vehicles tend to use similar temps) or modify the existing switch (I'm personally not real comfortable with that).

Check to see how your bike's fan is triggered which should be in your service manual.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Dnyce
flyin high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/search/V.../?autoview=SKU

Blammo. Had one on the shelby. Worked alright, setting it is a bit finicky though.
sweet, almost exactly what i was looking for, ill do alil more research and see if i can apply it to the bike without too much hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The fan is triggered off of a separate system. Instead of the temp sender it uses a separate thermo switch that trips closed at 105C and trips open at 100C. I would either need to find a replacement that fits my bike and trips at a different set of temps I'm happy with (probably pretty unlikely since most vehicles tend to use similar temps) or modify the existing switch (I'm personally not real comfortable with that).
thats what i really wanted, but so far no luck. it has to exist somewhere tho. maybe i can raid a pepboys lol and find something
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
sweet, almost exactly what i was looking for, ill do alil more research and see if i can apply it to the bike without too much hassle

thats what i really wanted, but so far no luck. it has to exist somewhere tho. maybe i can raid a pepboys lol and find something
oughtta be very easy
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
so, i know alot of ppl just add a toggle switch inline when their stock coolant switch goes bad, or when they want the power to turn the fans on whenever they want, but what i want(and what makes the most sense imo) is a fan switch that switches on at a lower temp. i cant imagine that every fan switch comes on at the same temp, or at the very least someone would make an adjustable one for custom applications. but i cant find any info on it. anybody here attempt to do this?

the bike is a '00 750, but this would apply to all bikes id think.
Over in the Busa world there are a couple ways this is done. One strategy is to move the stock sensor from the cool side of the radiator over to the hot intake line coming off the engine. Its about half way down this page. http://www.rccturbos.com/product-cat...&category_id=3
Another option on the Busa (and I have to assume that there are parallels for other bikes , This appears to work in all of the Suzukis) is to use the fan temp sensor from a Honda Accord which triggers the fan at 185 instead of 205 I think. (it is a direct swap) Also a well used option is switching to a Muzzy or comparable fan the Muzzy is Aluminum so unlike the stock Suzuki fans they don't flex when they get hot. Muzzy also seems to have better Geometry so it appears to move more air.
I actually did all three but the fan ran constantly so I switched back to the the stock sensor in a new location.
An option for gen 1 busas I haven't done but may is to add a second fan from Jeggs or Snitz (they are $50) so you are moving even more air when the fans run.

Last edited by nhgunnut; 10-05-2010 at 05:05 AM..
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Dnyce
flyin high

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
use the fan temp sensor from a Honda Accord which triggers the fan at 185 instead of 205 I think. (it is a direct swap) Also a well used option is switching to a Muzzy or comparable fan the Muzzy is Aluminum so unlike the stock Suzuki fans they don't flex when they get hot. Muzzy also seems to have better Geometry so it appears to move more air.
bingo! thats what i want-you know what years of accords? i could probably figure it out but if u already knew....
my chick has an '02 accord, maybe i rob it for parts lol

thanks!

my fan is steel, so i dont think it flexes like a plastic one would..
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

On the Busa it is 1998 -2005 sub $30 at Pep Bous