Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)
Default Excuses

A list of common excuses for not riding on the track, taken from tonystrackdays.com...
Quote:
Here are some "excuses" that people have used to keep themselves off the track. Do any of them sound familiar?

1. I don't have Proper Riding Gear (Leathers, Boots, etc.)
I will first say that having a good set of leathers is probably the smartest investment you will make as a sportbike rider. If you care for them properly, they can last many years and there are many websites with good USED leathers at great prices.

As for boots... you should have a set of motorcycle specific boots. They are relatively cheap when you think about it... especially compared to ankle surgery!

Having said all that... we don't actually require Leathers. Any good motorcycle specific gear (not MESH) with pads will be allowed. Check out the RIDER PREP section for more details on gear.

The bottom line to this question is that ALL RIDERS should have high-quality motorcycle gear... regardless of whether you are doing Track Days or not.

2. I'm worried about crashing my bike.
The argument can be made that you are more likely to crash on the street and you ride there, right?

The key is to control yourself when you're on the track. Just because you're on a racetrack doesn't mean you have to go fast.

Without all the distractions present on the street, the track allows you to concentrate on your riding, and learning new skills.

3. I'll be the slowest guy out there.
So what???

Remember... it is NOT a race. We have 3 different group levels with a wide range of speed and ability. Just find the group that fits your speed best and HAVE FUN!

Our days are full of STREET riders. People just like you that want to improve their riding ability.

4. I don't have a way to get up to the track.

My first suggestion is to "buddy up" with someone that has a truck or trailer and was planning to go alone. There are several different website forums available that have people on them that go to these track days. (they are listed at the bottom)

If all else fails, ride up!

Whether you ride or trailer, consider getting to the track area the night before so you don't have to ride so much in one day. You WILL be tired after riding on the track!

5. I don't ride a Sportbike.
We have ALL kinds of bikes during track days.

BMW's, FJR's, VFR's, Dirt Bikes (motards), Standards, and of course... Sportbikes.

It's not about the bike or how fast you go. If you ride it on the street, you can learn to ride it BETTER by riding it on the track.

6. It's too expensive.
Repeat customers and special deals can save you some money. Set up an account on our website to ensure that you receive our emails which often include specials. Even at the full price, however, the experience and knowledge you gain can end up saving your life. Surely that is worth a couple of hundred bucks.

7. Why should I pay to ride someplace?
While riding twisty public roads is fun, it cannot compare to the track. Remember... practice makes perfect.

Having the chance to take the same corners, over and over without distractions, is what allows you to improve.

Besides, a speeding ticket can cost more than one track day. And a crash on the street can easily cost more than doing several track days each year.

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES! Sign up and get your ass out there!

Improve your riding skills BEFORE you need them!
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

The only one I don't agree with is finance. Riding track is very expensive and if you don't have the cash to do it right and really have to start missing out on other things in life to afford 1 track day, you should probably wait til you are better off financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

About finances. If somebody really wanted to go to the track, they would make it happen. I hate how people post MULTIPLE times in a track day date thread "I can't wait to do a track day". If you REALLY wanted to do one, you would save the cash and get the fuck out there. I should get that phrase copyrighted, so I could get paid everytime someone says that shit. I'd be rich.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The only one I don't agree with is finance. Riding track is very expensive and if you don't have the cash to do it right and really have to start missing out on other things in life to afford 1 track day, you should probably wait til you are better off financially.
I agree with that.

And I have another very valid excuse -- my bike really probably would DIE if I tracked it. (well, I take that back... now that she's getting a good workover this week, she'll be better than ever!)
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

All hugely LAME excuses.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I don't agree with any of the excuses.

I had someone tell me it was more expensive because they had to pass tech... um, you should have a well maintained motorcycle ANYWAY. As far as financial goes... that is why you get in as a cornerworker There are ways...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

mine is "our track isint built yet" :P
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Bassplayer
No, I dont play drums too

Moto: SV 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
mine is "our track isint built yet" :P
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer View Post
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

at the moment I've got a pretty solid one... I'm in Korea and my bike is in North Dakota.

when I get to CO I'll try to get at least a couple a year... but the only track that's close is Pueblo and you need a racing license... (how hard is that to get btw?)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote