Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
First time, but I had been dragging my knee for a while on the street before I ever set rubber on a track. There is a ton of factors on how long it takes you, I wouldn't focus on it. I would build off a good body position and just learning the bike. Dragging will come.
truer words never spoken...several very good friends of mine are licensed racers and they say pretty much the same, focus on your body positioning and actual ride, not on getting that knee down, it will come when you are ready!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
truer words never spoken...several very good friends of mine are licensed racers and they say pretty much the same, focus on your body positioning and actual ride, not on getting that knee down, it will come when you are ready!
Yeah, but it's easier to say it than it is to do though. I focused on kneedragging and now I got a terrible body position, but hey I can look like a douche and get my knee down with an awful position....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

i understand...i think part of my reasoning is since I already met the ground before draggin knee, I am in no hurry to meet it again...that and being the perfectionist that I am, i want my positioning to be perfect, so that when I do finally get there, its all one smooth, fluid activity, no worries about if my seat is far enough over or my shoulder is low enough, etc etc...because if I stop to THINK about what I am doing, i will go down...that whole ADD thing i guess...

kinda like the dragon last year...white line white line, JEESUS CLIFF, white line white line...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

DLIT is right, I know there are a couple corners at JGP where dragging knee is useless (12!) but I do it anyway just for the "cool" factor.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
t-homo
WSB Champion

I can't wait until I am finally good enough to get my knee down with correct body position. It's going to take me a little longer though cuz I'm only 5'8, not 6'2 like most guys.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I'm at a point now where it's always touching the ground but there's barely any pressure on it. They don't wear too fast thst way. But I want it down so it looks good for the pics.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
DLIT is right, I know there are a couple corners at JGP where dragging knee is useless (12!) but I do it anyway just for the "cool" factor.
I can totally see where it is useless in 12, but at least there is a wide open clear view for pics!!! One day I'll get a decent track pic, hopefully this April!!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm at a point now where it's always touching the ground but there's barely any pressure on it. They don't wear too fast thst way. But I want it down so it looks good for the pics.
Oh hell yeah, that's why I like HARD pucks, they slide easier, and make more noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
I can totally see where it is useless in 12, but at least there is a wide open clear view for pics!!! One day I'll get a decent track pic, hopefully this April!!
Yeah, I drag there, 14, 3, and a couple other places where it's not really necessary. My favorite place to drag is 2, just 'cause it messes with people's heads when you go around them in 2 at 120 smokin' a kneepuck. I hope you get some good shots in April, too bad I wont be out there

Last edited by PhiSig1071; 04-02-2008 at 02:47 PM..
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Now that your girl has an SLR, you can just do it a few times and worry about riding after that. I know when A is shooting, so I break out the sparkies for that and have fun, then just go back to riding. I basically use mine as a finder now. I know the point where my knee will barely hit before my pegs and once I hit that I bring the puck off the ground and ride it out there. I am going to have to learn that all over again with my vortex rearsets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes

I've had the same knee pucks on my suit for over a year. Partially because I have that cursed A* SMX-Plus suit with the damned locking pucks and I can't find them anymore.

I can tell you though, after I took the Pridmore school, my body position improved drastically, the bike felt more comfortable, and my knee-dragging became a much smoother "skim" and the puck would only actually touch at the apex of a corner. I was actually dragging knee with my leg against the fairings in a few turns at SMMR.

After racing for a while though, I can tell you there's more to it. Talking and working with the guys who are a lot faster than me, they go through pucks like mad when they try and push their times down. They will actually put their body weight on the puck to let the bike carry more corner speed. I'm not good enough to do that yet, but if I figure out exactly how, I'll let you all know =P
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote