Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #21
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Good Control riders are a MUST! They make a huge difference (If you're looking for control riders, I'm willing to relocate!)

Trackside support-Tire sales, tire mounting and suspension. A simple suspension set-up made the biggest difference in my riding, and I think that all trackday riders should at least have their sag/rebound/compression set properly. Use a guy who does suspension work too, and he can do set-up's as advertisement for his business.

Free drinks are a nice touch, but will get very expensive, sell drinks (water, gatoraide etc) at cost.

I liked the food at the STT day at BMP, get a ticket for a free meal and buy a drink.

At the VERY least paved pit lane/pits with reliable power, if you can swing covered pits that would be awesome! Make sure the power is reliable and up to snuff, you'll have poeple running warmers, compressors, ac units, and fans. I went to JGP one day and had to use the generator on my buddies trailer for power because the curcuit breakers kept popping.

Flags are fine, no need for lights.

Rental gear-Have a "first trackday" package, 1 trackday, with full leathers, for a lower cost, and include a novice track-day school. They had the school at BMP and it REALLY helped the riders who had never been there before. It's like dealing drugs, get people there to try it, and they'll be hooked and keep coming back.

Photog-A friendly, helpful photographer is nice to have, most people would want a pic of their on-track experiences (I know I do). You could include a picture CD in the "First trackday" package. People will look at the pics and want to go back.

If I can think of anything else I'll add it.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Well, let me rephrase about the lights. I will HAVE lights, the track owner is installing them. The question is, if I have lights... will I NEED cornerworkers

I right now have two types of events.

Trackdays = 2 groups. Novice/intermediate = Group 1. Group 2 = advanced, and that position is EARNED only. 30-min alternating through the day.

The other is Happy Hour - it's a 4-hour open afternoon session available to Group 2 ONLY.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #23
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

In addition to everything mentioned. It would be nice to have someone unload and load everything from the truck/trailer. Girls in bikinis serving cold water after each session, and massage with a happy ending after the last session. Fuel that doesn't cost $10 a gallon would be nice.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #24
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

ur drunk only in our dreams will that come true

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #25
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Novice and Intermediate together? Nice to have 2 groups...but I dont think I'd like that.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Novice and Intermediate together? Nice to have 2 groups...but I dont think I'd like that.
Then, learn well... don't ride like an asshole... and earn a spot.

What I hated, or even loathed about other events (not all, just many), were the descriptions of many of those in that middle group. Sure, there were some quality intermediates (oxymoron?). But, there were also sandbaggers - those that should be in the next group but love to pass and can't handle getting passed. OR, they were too fast to be called slow in their own mind. It makes for a dangerous combination.

Besides, I have 30 people per group. If you can't manage a group and figure out your own personal space on a track in a half hour with that many people... you don't deserve to be "going fast". knowwhatImean?

I have a 2 student / 1 instructor ratio - with dedicated instructors, meaning instructors are assigned to riders so no one has to go searching for anyone.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #27
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes

The intermediate group is where all of the wrecks happen... There's a lot of guys who can ride their bike fast, but they're not mentally ready to be going that fast, nor is their body in a good enough position to get good feedback from their bike.

I like the way TrackXperience does it with two groups. Novice and advanced. Not too many riders in either group, so there's plenty of room on the track. The advanced level would be like a level 3 fastrack group.

Like DLIT mentioned earlier, my absolute favorite track days are with SoCalTrackDays and their no-sessions format. It's supposed to be for advanced riders only, but anyone can register. As long as you hold your line, it really doesn't matter how quick you are, people will just fly past you, but I've actually seen them pull people off for riding erratically. 35 riders total for the entire day, so plenty of open track. If you go to one of these, you're likely to see some factory test riders, AMA riders, or even tire testers.
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Lets be reasonable here, not everyone is a great rider and they go to the track to get better, to build confidence and to gain skills you dont learn on the street that will benefit in all forms of riding. Not everyone wants to drag knee or be a professional racer. Not everyone has the funds to go to the track, shoot, alot of riders dont even KNOW what going to the track means. (In my area they usually think its the local drag strip! Then get offended when I laugh...)

That being said, keeping a track to one certain class is not even logical or at all reasonable. If my local track (still being several hours away) only did exp. riders, I'd never go, simply because I would be intimidated and nervous I would get killed by assholes who think they're Rossi.

My thoughts would be keep it open to all riders, designate classes or days as needed for different types of riders, and have specific times and days for specific classes or events. That way everyone gets a chance and they will keep coming back as they get better and better.

Never allow complete novices to ride with intermediates, like you said Zoomie, you get those jerks who really should be in the advanced class but like to look good, and they endanger novices who are trying to learn. If you are trying to learn your line, its not so easy when assholes run by, improperly pass you, buzz you etc and you are too busy trying not to die and not focusing on improving. Yeah tracks try and control this, but it happens.

And imo its freaking awesome to be able to watch those really experienced riders go at it in a class of their own, b/c I can watch that, see how good people can get in person and have something to aspire to.

One thing that really helped me visually was seeing the track marked with the proper line for me to follow. Jennings has those big dots on boxes, and being able to follow those a few laps gave me the physical/visual knowledge to apply what I knew I should be doing. After a few laps I didnt really need them but it was a comfort to have them.

Control riders that are knowledgable, friendly and helpful!! The peeps at Jennings are freaking awesome and I learned so much, but if they hadnt been friendly and approachable, I wouldnt have learned diddly!!

The flag system was awesome, and i think way more eyecatching than lights would be simply because when I get in the zone, movement is more likely to catch my attention than a light, but maybe if its flashing that would help...of course the flag wavers helping you pick up pieces is helpful too!

Everything else mentioned, like outlets, covers, tire and suspension people are all also things it'd be great to always have.

Have those people/vendors offering services be a lil less pricey than your regular shop and they will make a killing on track days because people will be willing to spend that money while they are there, especially if they are getting a great deal. Think Wheeler's up at the Dragon: I was more than willing to wait and pay cash to get work done because I was there, I wanted to see the differences and results and because he charged reasonable fees! Or even bike shows and rally's, I will go to a bike rally an hour away to buy a set of tires because while they are there on site i can pick them up for at least $100 cheaper than buying them on a normal day from my local shops. That kinda thing...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #29
azoomm
moderator chick

Thanks Rae... most of that I do.

As far as novice and intermediate together... they aren't allowed to pass unless signaled. And, I have kicked people out for douchebaggery. I have a few urban legends going on here in town about me apperantely the squiddies are skeerd.

I'm open and honest, and will allow someone to make their best efforts to prove their abilities.

My first event at this track is Saturday...

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

i just read on www.trackdaymag.com that they have a trackday in st. louis that is regular sessions all day then after lunch or near the end of the day they have an actual race.. 10 laps or something. you can choose to join the race or you can choose to opt out and watch. i think that is a very cool idea.

also i have been to some trackdays with good lunch and some with bad.. always should be included in the trackday fee.. i was at one in 100 degree heat and they served pizza - that sucked.. as far as drinks i say have a cooler full of gatorade available - the powder is cheap.. finally if there is a gate fee include it in the trackday fees don't make me drive 6-8 hours and then have to pay some fucking asswad at the gate $5 to get in after I paid $150-$200 for the trackday...

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote