Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Rider
Moto GP Star

I have to admit, I have been to a race. BORING.

I can see why NASCAR has a bigger following. Everyone drives a car so people can relate. Not everyone rides a bike. I bet if you compared the percentage of the people who drive that are NASCAR fans and the percentage of people who ride sport bikes that are AMA/WSK/MotoGP fans, I bet the numbers would be similar or slightly is favor of the riders.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I bet if you compared the percentage of the people who drive that are NASCAR fans and the percentage of people who ride sport bikes that are AMA/WSK/MotoGP fans, I bet the numbers would be similar or slightly is favor of the riders. .
Was mainly talking in the US - as MotoGP is pretty huge and draws crowds similar to nascar throughout the world. Wish AMA would do that here in the states.

I agree completely with Nascar being boring - which is why everyone sits in the stands and gets plowed. Once youve felt the rumble for the 10th lap - the remaining 490 lose their luster.

Im curious if nascar migrates into having more toyota/non-big 3 when there is pressure and oversight from the federal government on their spending. Given they made them sell their planes as they had their hand out - I wonder how many other "toys" of the biz they will have to get rid of.
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
does the 25-30M a year the big three spend not count as commercial sponsorship? Not to mention all the parts/tech/etc they contribute.
Really it is a drop in the bucket...That 30 large is spread out among that manufacturers teams, so to each team it is a matter of contingency or picking up an add'l sponsor. You would be suprised how little the manufacturers contribute financially. Technically they contribute alot of engineering, wind tunnel time, ect, but Teams run on sponsorships primarily.

Without the technical contributions and attributes (which NASCAR has tried hard to limit or at least make equitable among manu's) the teams will just get on with R&D in house making them tighten their own budgets, seek more sponsor capitol, perhaps down size teams, which we re seeing already. But that is more of an economic threat caused by sponsors tightening up rather than just manufacturers.

Besides their teams employ hundreds and it is a business, so they are going to race something! Even if it is last years tech.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I don't watch the races either. HOWEVER, my husband works in the business. He was laid off several months ago.

So whatever your fucking opinion is of it - people are losing jobs there just like everywhere else.

Oh lookie what a cool smiley!

Last edited by MILK; 12-12-2008 at 12:33 PM..
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
I don't watch the races either. HOWEVER, my husband works in the business. He was laid off several months ago.

So whatever your fucking opinion is of it - people are losing jobs there just like everywhere else.
Sad times we live in.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

No shit...and no end in sight.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Sad times we live in.
Definitely. I've been on standby all week with corporate security due to several executives being let go...just in case anyone freaks or has a medical emergency. It's really tough especially when you know the individual and they just had a major life changing experience placed in front of them. I don't mean the ones with a golden parachute either.

We were approched by a start up NASCAR team for a sponsorship a while back and it was $17 million for the first year. The boss declined. We did get involved with NASCAR but not by sponsoring a car or driver.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Well, Japanese auto makers aren't doing that great either, and Japan as a country is worse off than we are here. So I'm assuming by this logic that Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki should all drop their funding for all forms of motorcycle roadracing, dirt, drag, etc etc.

That would be the end of them

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Well, Japanese auto makers aren't doing that great either, and Japan as a country is worse off than we are here. So I'm assuming by this logic that Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki should all drop their funding for all forms of motorcycle roadracing, dirt, drag, etc etc.

That would be the end of them
Honda did pull out of Formula 1 for 2009 saying that the global economy was making it difficult for them to apply the 100 M + into a racing budget. Of course this is a Honda factory team and not anything like a NASCAR team which isn't a true factory effort.

American Suzuki has put it's 2009 plans on hold citing economic problems and Honda and Kawasaki have failed to provide any details of how or when they will be involved. Although the economy is part of their logic, AMA Pro Roadracing being bought out and managed by the NASCAR affiliated Daytona Motorsports Group has some impact in their thinking.

MILK - so sorry to hear about your husband. I know alot of good people will suffer for the economy. That really isn't NASCARs fualt though...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
MILK - so sorry to hear about your husband. I know alot of good people will suffer for the economy. That really isn't NASCARs fualt though...
I didn't say it was. They can't find a sponsor for next year. That is the reason. Although my husband's been out of work awhile, they just laid off the whole team for 3 weeks in a last ditch effort to find a sponsor before they shut their doors.

As I've said to my husband (not that he didn't already know), "Your career is someone else's hobby." That's the way it is with all sports, unfortunately.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote