Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #91
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I don't know where you eat, but I get stellar service 90% of the time...and we eat out quite a bit. Stay away from chain restaurants run by a corporate entity that really treat their people like shit and you'll get better service....and usually better food.

TGIFridays? Really? People still eat that shit? Jesus.
I generally get good service too, hence why I'm known for being a notorious over-tipper. Servers tend to remember me if I start to frequent a place. It doesn't matter if it's a 4-star, or Denny's.

My job is to provide a service, whether I'm doing it with a camera or fixing someone's computer issues. Been doing computer service for 20+ years either in the manufacturing end or here, in the university (last 12+ years). I've also worked in a parking lot in every position from parking attendant to assistant supervisor. I know what it's like to be directly serving the public, believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
So what would a professional server do better than the college students who are working their way through college and eatin ramen at home?
Ummmmm... ACT like a professional, perhaps? If you're in a service industry, you provide service. That is your product. Do better than basic, and you get paid better than basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Actually, we do have "professional" servers; people who have gone to school for service, done legnthy apprenticeships for little money, worked their way up through better and better establishments, so perhaps, depending on the [places you frequent, you may come across one.

By the same token, I was GM of a 3 star place a few years back; most of the staff were VERY talented. But every barrel always has a bad apple or two. I had one waiter that scooped up a smaller (10%) tip off a table, scoot up to the front of the restaurant and hand it back to the customer with the remark...."Here, you must need this more than I do".........

Fired on the spot.......
You don't need to go to school, in order to be a professional server. You need to act like a professional, have pride in the job you do, treat the customer like the boss that he is, and not do the sort of thing that you described here.

My objection is to the idea that giving extra, on top of the basic cost of the meal, is MANDATED. In one case my group waited 45 minutes to be seated, another 45 for our server to come by, and a half hour for our meals. If a server from another section hadn't topped us up with hot bread and water every now and then, we'd have been long gone. The only reason our server showed up at all was because one of our party went to the manager and complained. It wasn't THAT busy, that night. When the server finally did show up he took a seat at our table, then went on to explain that he'd been slow because he was on a "team building session" with the other servers, the night before, and was massively hung over.

I don't care what anyone says. I DO NOT give a gratuity in a situation like that. I will not be mandated to do so.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #92
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I generally get good service too, hence why I'm known for being a notorious over-tipper. Servers tend to remember me if I start to frequent a place. It doesn't matter if it's a 4-star, or Denny's.

My job is to provide a service, whether I'm doing it with a camera or fixing someone's computer issues. Been doing computer service for 20+ years either in the manufacturing end or here, in the university (last 12+ years). I've also worked in a parking lot in every position from parking attendant to assistant supervisor. I know what it's like to be directly serving the public, believe me.

Ummmmm... ACT like a professional, perhaps? If you're in a service industry, you provide service. That is your product. Do better than basic, and you get paid better than basic.

You don't need to go to school, in order to be a professional server. You need to act like a professional, have pride in the job you do, treat the customer like the boss that he is, and not do the sort of thing that you described here.

My objection is to the idea that giving extra, on top of the basic cost of the meal, is MANDATED. In one case my group waited 45 minutes to be seated, another 45 for our server to come by, and a half hour for our meals. If a server from another section hadn't topped us up with hot bread and water every now and then, we'd have been long gone. The only reason our server showed up at all was because one of our party went to the manager and complained. It wasn't THAT busy, that night. When the server finally did show up he took a seat at our table, then went on to explain that he'd been slow because he was on a "team building session" with the other servers, the night before, and was massively hung over.

I don't care what anyone says. I DO NOT give a gratuity in a situation like that. I will not be mandated to do so.
I agree 100%. I wasn't sure what you meant by professional server. Like I said, half of my college friends do it to get by in school, and no matter how hungover they are, act professionally.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #93
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Again, tipping is not law. It's just become common place due to a greedy society. In fact, if I had the option of ordering from the kitchen and getting the food myself, I'd gladly do it. I don't need somebody to walk 45 feet for me and expect 20 dollars for their "effort".
Spoken like someone who's never waited tables. At a busy & nice place it's one of the hardest jobs you could ever have.

When you go to a nice place with your girl, would you prefer some illegal immigrant giving you service? Because that's the only kind of people who would take those jobs if all they could make was $8/hr and no tips. At that wage, most normal people would rather work at Barnes & Noble where there's 10 times less stress. They wouldn't be busting their ass off at a restaurant.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-25-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #94
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It's like the pizza guy, some times he gets 5 bucks, some times he gets jack shit. If they quote me 40 minutes, and he has it there in 30, 5 bucks for him. If they quote 40 and he's just on time, I'll give him keep the change. If it's anymore than 15 minutes late, well better luck next time..
Can you prove it was his fault for being late? What if it was the cook's fault or his manager's fault? If so why does the driver deserve to get stiffed?

These guys use their own car and their own gas, and often get held up at gunpoint for money........and you stiff them without any proof that it was their fault. Nice. How about maybe calling the manager and asking for a discount instead? That way the driver isn't affected.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-25-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #95
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
At a busy, nice place it's one of the hardes jobs you could ever have.

Ya, im sure it can be directly compared to soldiers in afghanistan, or men out in boat in 50 foot seas hauling up traps, hoping not to get swallowed by the drink.

Dont try and tell me because something is busy, and your on your feet, its hard.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #96
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Can you prove it was his fault for being late? What if it was the cook's fault or his manager's fault? If so why does the driver deserve to get stiffed?

These guys use their own car and their own gas, and often get held up at gunpoint for money........and you stiff them without any proof that it was their fault. Nice. How about maybe calling the manager and asking for a discount instead? That way the driver isn't affected.
True story.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #97
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
So it is dumb to work a job where you could potentially earn quite a bit more if you do well at it, than to work a job where you are set at 7.50 an hour. Makes sense. To the simpler mind, of course.
No it's dumb to work a job that pays less then minimum PLUS EARNED TIPS and then complain when you don't get tips because they were NOT EARNED. you take the position saying i think i can bust ass and make big coin and if a patron feels you haven't EARNED a large tip you feel slighted. (i do not mean you personally here just a server in general)

you take a less then minimum job knowing you may actually make less then minimum wage unless you EARN THE TIPS
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #98
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Ya, im sure it can be directly compared to soldiers in afghanistan, or men out in boat in 50 foot seas hauling up traps, hoping not to get swallowed by the drink.

Dont try and tell me because something is busy, and your on your feet, its hard.
There is a difference between hard and dangerous.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #99
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
There is a difference between hard and dangerous.....

Theres a difference between hard and serving tables too.

Servers seem to think they are special, and they deserve some kind of respect. They are no different than the guy who pumps my gas. And he doesnt get a tip, ever.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 02-25-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #100
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I don't know where you eat, but I get stellar service 90% of the time...and we eat out quite a bit. Stay away from chain restaurants run by a corporate entity that really treat their people like shit and you'll get better service....and usually better food.

TGIFridays? Really? People still eat that shit? Jesus.

just a thought here but maybe you get great service 90% of the time because you return to establishments where you recieve great service?

i know i do. i even request certain servers when I go. great service, great tip, and I'll make sure to get your table next time. it's a reciprocating thing.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote