Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #51
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
WTF is the point of buffering?

I put a VDO mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Rabbit GTI (it didn't have a sensor, you had to hook up an oil hose to the back of it), and that thing was awesome how it responded. At startup it would stay pretty high for awhile, since cold oil is thicker......But after a few minutes it would start dropping down as the oil heated up. Eventually it would drop down to say 20-30 psi at idle, but then rise to 60-70 psi when you blip the throttle. I don't remember the exact pressure but that's not the point. Why would you want it buffered? A true enthusiast wants to know exactly what's happening when it happens.
The buffered gauges are the same, but the accumulation is over a few seconds so the gauge doesn't sit there and bounce around.

You are not calibrating or diagnosing anything. You don't need instantaneous pressure readings other than to make yourself look cool. To me it is just shit moving around that I don't need to see. Let me know when the oil pressure drops below a level that will do damage to lower end bearings. That is really all I need to know.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-12-2011 at 04:49 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #52
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
its to keep mechanically illiterate fucktards from bringing the car back for unnecessary diagnostic service because "the gauges were moving". shit you not....
While there is some truth to this, the main reason is for the aesthetic look of the guage needle. Who wants to look at guages that sit there and bounce around every half second? It gets annoying after a while.

Quote:
...certain cars dont have them, the nsx's oil gauge is sensitive enough you can see a drop when the vtec system switches cam profiles. scc also made a big stink about the srt4 having "real gauges"
The NSX guages are still buffered, just not as long as say a Buick.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-12-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #53
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

It depends on whether you want something else doing the "averaging" for you or not.

Some people (myself included) don't want anything masked by a buffer or otherwise.

Sometimes the subtle details expressed on an unbuffered gauge can tell a person with a good eye more about what's really going on.

I hate any assumptions made about "what I need to see". Let me be the arbiter of that.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #54
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
It depends on whether you want something else doing the "averaging" for you or not.

Some people (myself included) don't want anything masked by a buffer or otherwise.

Sometimes the subtle details expressed on an unbuffered gauge can tell a person with a good eye more about what's really going on.

I hate any assumptions made about "what I need to see". Let me be the arbiter of that.
That is fine in all, but you need to realize that ALL GAUGES ARE BUFFERED to an extent. Any gauge has to be segmented by some time or spring pressure differentiation. By how much is up to personal preference. This is what always gets me going when talking about this shit to non-engineers.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #55
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

How shit works and feels in the real world fucking matters. Fuck the math. Fuck the theory. This is what always gets me going when talking about this shit to engineers.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #56
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
While there is some truth to this, the main reason is for the aesthetic look of the guage needle. Who wants to look at guages that sit there and bounce around every half second? It gets annoying after a while.
Why would it bounce around every second? Mine didn't. It only moved when I revved the engine.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #57
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Why would it bounce around every second? Mine didn't. It only moved when I revved the engine.
Simple...your gauge is not that accurate. It is prolly in the zone of +/-3 PSI in order for the spring to even move. It is just a mechanical buffer instead of an electronic one.

If you were measuring the oil pressure in 1kPa increments, the thing would be bouncing all around at steady RPM because the oil pump creates pressure oscillations. You just choose to buffer it to 300kPa instead of 1kPa. Get it? It is really no different that waiting a few seconds and averaging the results, but rather a different way of doing it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-12-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #58
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
How shit works and feels in the real world fucking matters.....
That is exactly my point. You buffer something based upon it's intended use/user. If I'm an engine engineer, I want oil pressure to be measured every 100ms and in as small as 5kPa increments. If I'm a race car builder, I want it every 500ms and at 0.5PSI increments. And if I drive a fucking Buick Century with a dummy light, every 10 seconds on average with a 5PSI increment is good enough so I never see the light unless I have no oil in the engine.

It is all on how you wish to display the data pure and simple.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #59
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Wow.

You actually made sense.

Who are you, and does 101 know you're logged onto his account?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #60
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Wow.

You actually made sense.

Who are you, and does 101 know you're logged onto his account?
That post was the product of 45k in student loans.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM