Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R
Default Rode my 1st Harley Davidson

...and I must say...I liked it!

I had to go to the dealer today to have a headlight recall done on my bike. So while I waited I decided to take the VRod out for a spin. It was brand new...only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the parking lot.

Very quiet stock exhaust. The weight wasn't what I expected. Took little effort to get it up off the kick stand. Clutch engages way out at the end of the lever travel....opposite of my Buell.

It was very comfortable with the forward controls. The seat felt GREAT. Nice little pad against the butt to stop you from flying off the back.

Handled MUCH better than I expected. Big 240 rear tire...but it moves plenty well through a corner. I scraped pegs or boot just about every time I leaned over though. Over all not bad for a big cruiser.

Brakes felt nice and solid...ABS is nice...but didn't test it.

Rev's very slow...meaning...I gave it the berries a few times leaving stop signs and it would take off very quickly... I'd look down and it's only pulling 5 grand (red line is 9,000rpm).

I was very impressed with it. I'd buy one if I had the money. Loved it.

Stock photo:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Are they using special engine mounts to dampen the vibes or is it typical rattle your teeth out Harley?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Nope...really smooth. Tranny was nice and slick too.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

yup my coworker has one. i rode a couple dif models and their fun. couple kaw,zuk,honda cruisers, shit i love everything. The only prob I had I was so scared to lean them because my friends floor boards would scrape even barely turning. I have seen another buddy though lean the shit out of his kaw and take corners pretty fast. If I ever get some loot i'm def buying a cruiser as a second ride they were so much comfy than a sportbike,felt like driving a big ass couch with a lot of power. good review
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
yup my coworker has one. i rode a couple dif models and their fun. couple kaw,zuk,honda cruisers, shit i love everything. The only prob I had I was so scared to lean them because my friends floor boards would scrape even barely turning. I have seen another buddy though lean the shit out of his kaw and take corners pretty fast. If I ever get some loot i'm def buying a cruiser as a second ride they were so much comfy than a sportbike,felt like driving a big ass couch with a lot of power. good review
It was fun fast and comfortable. I'd buy one today if I had the cash.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

there is something to be said about a finely balanced cruiser, sounds like ya had fun!

One question tho, upon returning it they didnt question the scraping of the pegs at all?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
there is something to be said about a finely balanced cruiser, sounds like ya had fun!

One question tho, upon returning it they didnt question the scraping of the pegs at all?
Nope...I told the guy about it half way through the ride....he asked me what I thought at a stop sign.

He was the sales manager...and he was hauling ASS around these corners. I was doing my best to keep up on a bike I didn't know.

(Don't worry...I was in full control.)

Quote:
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

thats pretty friggin cool! Our local dealers dont typically offer or allow test rides, so I wasnt sure how theyd feel about that kinda thing.

Would never worry about you being in control or not, a few others, maaaybe...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
thats pretty friggin cool! Our local dealers dont typically offer or allow test rides, so I wasnt sure how theyd feel about that kinda thing.

Would never worry about you being in control or not, a few others, maaaybe...
This guy could rail on whatever HD he was on. Maybe a night train. He also knew the roads. In fact, when I told him about scraping...he said "thats what the feelers are for!".

Quote:
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

That bike is sick