Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

True.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I currently have 4 bikes, each of different ilks, and the next was a progression of the bike before it.

I'll mention just the bikes I have now. The ones before were all sportbikes.

The TLR is a great around town bike. I took it on a 3500 mile week long trip to Florida. That gave me the sport touring bug, but I realized that I needed something a little more comfortable.

Enter the Busa. Picked this up 3 months after the TLR Florida trip. GPS, satellite radio, hard bags, and 70,000 miles later, it's the perfect sport tourer for me. Over the course of 70,000 miles and 49 states on the Busa, I got the itch to ride to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Can't do over 800 miles of gravel on the Busa easily, so it was time to go shopping.

Enter the KLR. It will suck to ride 10,000 miles in one trip on, but 800 miles of the trip this year, the KLR will be the perfect tool for the job. It's actually fun as hell to ride, so I'm pretty sure I'll keep it and explore some more off-road around here.

While doing 49 states on the Busa, I had time to think about what my next touring type bike would be. I specifically decided I wouldn't get another touring bike until after I did all 49 states on the Busa. Just a little thing I told myself. I polished off the full 49 states last May. So, time to think seriously about the next bike. The BMW came along at the right place and the right time, so I snagged it up from Troy. It is an amazing bike, and I fully expect to continue my touring on that bike and rack up a ton of miles on it too.

Each bike has a defined role and purpose. At least, that's what I tell myself to justify owning 4 motorcycles.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

when I bought the klr I decided not to sell the cbr. The cbr is still useful for around town and longer spirited rides, but the klr will act as my all around travel bike, in the 7 months I've had it, its gone as far south as north carolina, and north to upstate new york, and east to rhode island. The klr isn't as powerful as I had hoped, but it gets the job done. I'm probably going to sell both bikes in a few years and buy an 800 bmw, or the tennre when they start poping up used
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I went from a TL1000R to a Road Star Warrior (sportbike to power cruiser for those not familiar with the models)

I wanted something a little more laid back...where I didn't feel like the bike was wasted at commuting speeds.
It worked for a while and the Warrior gave me a smile every time I rode it.
I later decided to trade it in on the Buell I have now, because I had wanted a Buell for a long time and the 'fire sale' was on. Figured it was then or never.

In hindsight, I should have probably just held out and gone for what I want now.

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 02-21-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

I love anything on two wheels. I've had 8 bikes in 5 years. I'm happy to be back on a true sportbike. But I look forward to finishing the bobber to put around town. Honestly, if I had the dough, I'd have one of each
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

What ever helps you sleep at night rex...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've gone from a beaten up old Shadow to a CBR to the SV. I ride my current style of bike because the power band is more usable and with the mods to the bars it's more of an upright bike (more like the Standard it's supposed to be).

I plan on eventually changing platforms again to something like an F650GS (if I get rid of the SV) or a G650GS (if I keep the SV). I almost pulled the trigger on a Wee Strom but the price tag changed at the last minute. The reasons for the move are exactly what was stated here by Trip and the others who have dual sport bikes.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I grew bored and disillusioned with my GSX-R750...it was really only "fun" when doing stupid things....on the street anyway. I sold it and bought my Suzuki M109-R as a compromise....a power cruiser...tons of power but more cruise friendly ergonomics....I've happily ridden the mountains of Arkansas numerous times...it's comfortable there and back again....and handles well in the twisty mountain roads for a big bike.

I'm looking at a new Kawasaki Concourse for this Spring as my riding interests have evolved into longer more over the back road type trips....we'll see. I may try one of the longer trips on the M109-R before making the decision.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

My next bike will most likely be a cruiser of some sort... Though, I would love to get a sport touring bike... Busa with some Heli's and hard bags, but I'll probably end up with more of a cruiser/tourer...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quite a few people have mentioned wanting a Busa for sport-touring. Makes me wonder if there's actually a market for mine out there. LOL

There probably would be if it didn't have 70,000 miles on it. Well, not for what I'd want to sell it for. haha!