Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default oh noez!!! cheby cobalt FAIL.........

http://www.click2houston.com/news/22685627/detail.html

Cobalt Power Steering Investigation
By Amy Davis

POSTED: Friday, February 26, 2010
UPDATED: 10:00 pm CST February 26, 2010

HOUSTON -- Local 2 Investigates power steering problems in a popular American-made car.

FIND IT: Read Complaints Filed With NHTSA

FIND IT: File Complaint With NHTSA
While Congress is calling special sessions to get to the bottom of serious issues with Toyota vehicles, some drivers want to know why General Motors is not getting as much heat for the growing number of complaints about one if its popular vehicles.

KPRC Local 2 investigative reporter Amy Davis explains the problem and uncovers at least one death that may have been caused by the malfunction two years ago.

"Hi. I'm Will Mattern. I live in The Woodlands, Texas," said Will Mattern, in his video posted on YouTube. "This is my son's car. It's a Chevrolet Cobalt."

Mattern took his story to YouTube when, he says, General Motors wouldn't help when he told them his son's car began losing power steering intermittently while he was driving.

Cara Jones of Pasadena called us with the same complaint.

"I couldn't steer my car," Jones told Davis.

Both say the power steering on their Chevrolet Cobalts started failing abruptly and without explanation.

"Then when I called GM, they acted like they hadn't ever heard of the problem before," Mattern told Davis.

It was seven months ago when Mattern took a video camera and took his story to the Internet.

"There's one thing you can do that can make a difference," Mattern says to his online audience. "You can call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 888-327-4236."

When Mattern first called the government agency that investigates vehicle safety defects, he says it told him the agency had only received six or seven similar complaints.

By late January, the NHTSA began a preliminary evaluation when it said the number of complaints jumped to 1,132, with 11 accidents reported when drivers said they lost control of their car when the power steering failed.

GM sent us a statement that reads, in part, "GM has been cooperating with the NHTSA in its investigation of the issue. If a loss of power steering assist should occur, a 'power steering' message is displayed in the driver information center and a chime sounds to inform the driver. At highway speeds, there will be little change in the effort required to steer the vehicle. At lower speeds, the effort required to steer the vehicle may increase, but the vehicle will still be controllable."

"You could be in the middle of a turn," said Mattern, in response to GM's statement. "You could be on the freeway. You could be trying to make an emergency maneuver. And if it happens at that second, you're going to be in big trouble."

"I weigh 100 pounds," said Jones. "I can not steer the vehicle. It takes everything in me just to try to move it just a little bit."

Local 2 Investigates uncovered similar complaints in the NHTSA's own records posted on online.

In November 2007, one driver said they spun out of control and into a tree. In February 2008, another driver said they lost control, the vehicle went airborne, struck a guardrail and dropped four feet from the interstate.

The most disturbing entry is a "steering" complaint. It reads, on "June 13, 2008, a driver was driving approx. 55 mph when the vehicle veered off the road into the opposite lane where it was struck by another vehicle. The driver was killed as a result of the crash."

The problem centers around the Cobalt's electric power steering system, installed in every Cobalt made from 2005 to 2009. The NHTSA estimates there are about 905,000 vehicles. The majority of these complaints reveal the problems don't start until the Cobalt has about 30,000 to 40,000 miles.

Repairs cost Mattern about $1,000.

Jones wants a recall, but all Mattern asked GM to do was alert owners.

"I asked them to send out postcards, just warning postcards to every parent letting them know of the possible situation of loss of steering," explained Mattern.

"For Chevy to know that this is a problem, and there's so many complaints, you know, what are they waiting for?" asked Jones.

GM tells us it is very close to concluding its investigation. The NHTSA has asked the car maker to respond to its inquiries and requests for records by March 26.

The NHTSA says the one death we found in its records wasn't reported until after it released the summary of complaints and injuries. To date, the NHTSA has received at least 1,861 complaints regarding the power steering failures in Chevrolet Cobalts.

If you would like to file a complaint, you can call the NHTSA at (888) 327-4236 or fill out a complaint form online.

You can search complaints already filed on the NHTSA's Web site.

GM plans to stop making the Chevrolet Cobalt at the end of 2010.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Obama! Come quick, your new auto manufacturer is having a problem!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

I can not wait to get the new car to get here, makes me hate gm even more

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Imagine how'd they would feel driving a car without power steering at all at all times

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The cobalt is a crappy car, really it is.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
squidward
KTM? Who makes those?

Moto: 09 KTM 450 XC-F

OMG, I lost my power assist steering.....however will I drove with one hand while holding a cell phone to my head now?
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Fore arm strength for the win!! Dont ask me how i got it.
Toyotas cant stop, Cobalts cant steer, Next thing you know Hondas wont start...What to buy?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
The cobalt is a crappy car, really it is.
The supercharged one is supposed to be a good car, but if it's anything like the base model I drive, it will have torque steer from Hell, even when just passing someone.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

It does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

no surprise there. I prefer no power steering honestly. helps keep your arms strong, and its one less system to worry about.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote