Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
A 400+ Hp coupe with good handling that does runs to 60 in 4.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 12.7 sec @ 111.3 while occasionally pulling .97g on the skidpad is definitely a rip off at anything over 30K.

That shit should be priced at 20K.
Its chassis and engines are shared with many other Ford products.........So it's cheap to build. Ford is just being greedy.

Also, the ultimate reason why you shouldn't pay a lot for this car........The rental lots will be stuffed with 'em

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-06-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

As an enthusiast I would love to have 412 ponies just cause. A 6 spd to row, some real grippy tires and a V8 snarl.
BUT...Since bike rock and all i need from a sports car is rainy day transportion the V6 engines will do. I still get to row the box, 300 hp is more than my 350Z had or any of my 80s V8 coupes had, and gets better mileage all for 8-10K less and lower insurance. With the money i save i can afford a sport bike andtrack time. What could be better...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!

Last edited by smileyman; 04-06-2010 at 02:27 PM..
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

How much lighter is the V6 than the GT? Are both engines aluminum block?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
As an enthusiast I would love to have 412 ponies just cause. A 6 spd to row, some real grippy tires and a V8 snarl.
BUT...Since bike rock and all i need from a sports car is rainy day transportion the V6 engines will do. I still get to row the box, 300 hp is more than my 350Z had or any of my 80s V8 coupes had, and gets better mileage all for 8-10K less and lower insurance. With the money i save i can afford a sport bike andtrack time. What could be better...
psssssst! Drop a terminator drive train in a 79' fairmont. Whole thing would only maybe run 15k and would kill practically anything on the road
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Its chassis and engines are shared with many other Ford products.........So it's cheap to build. Ford is just being greedy.

Also, the ultimate reason why you shouldn't pay a lot for this car........The rental lots will be stuffed with 'em
I don't know if I would call it greedy.

Cars like this (the ones people want) are where a company like Ford needs to make their money. It also helps to make up for all the Focus shitboxes they practically have to give away to offset the CAFE hit the company takes selling V8 cars that drag their fleet average down. CAFE standards are also the reason why manufacturers make so many of the SUVs and crossovers you seem to dislike.

There is a lot of hinky math that goes in to the calculation but the baseline is this year a car needs to get 27.5 mpg combined to be CAFE "neutral" while an SUV/crossover only needs to get 23.5 mpg combined to have the same effect. If the math actually made sense for every current V8 Mustang (19mpg combined) Ford sold they would have to sell 17 Focuses (28mpg combined) to be CAFE neutral. The number is less than that but it is still a lot of Focuses Ford has to move. This is also the reason Dodge screwed around with the dimensions of the Magnum so it was classified as a light truck instead of a passenger car.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't know if I would call it greedy.

Cars like this (the ones people want) are where a company like Ford needs to make their money. It also helps to make up for all the Focus shitboxes they practically have to give away to offset the CAFE hit the company takes selling V8 cars that drag their fleet average down.
If they didn't sell as many Mustangs, they wouldn't have to sell as many Focuses. Chicken and egg

How about a better strategy, improve the quality & desirability of the Focus, so that it can command a higher price?

Quote:
CAFE standards are also the reason why manufacturers make so many of the SUVs and crossovers you seem to dislike.
How are they being forced to make SUVs/crossovers?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
If they didn't sell as many Mustangs, they wouldn't have to sell as many Focuses. Chicken and egg
How would you propose to sell less Mustangs? Perhaps by building fewer and selling them for a lot? That doesn't sound like greed, it sounds like good business.

Quote:
How are they being forced to make SUVs/crossovers?
I said it was the reason why they make so many. I didn't say they were forced to do so. It only makes sense to build large vehicles so they are classified as light trucks. As I already mentioned this is what Dodge did with the Magnum and it is also what Ford did with the Flex.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #28
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
psssssst! Drop a terminator drive train in a 79' fairmont. Whole thing would only maybe run 15k and would kill practically anything on the road
Been there done that, and cheaper I might add. Ford Fairmont was also know as the Lincoln Zephyr, they cage out real light and a 351 makes them go fast. We called it the Zipper. Also done Vegas, Novas, GM F bodies, Mustangs and lite trucks. I am done building street sweepers, I want a warranty and creature comforts and to build race bikes.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
How would you propose to sell less Mustangs? Perhaps by building fewer and selling them for a lot? That doesn't sound like greed, it sounds like good business.
You said the Mustang makes up for the losses they take on Focuses. How about building a small car people are willing to pay a good price for? Until America does that, it will always be caught in this trap.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Been there done that, and cheaper I might add. Ford Fairmont was also know as the Lincoln Zephyr, they cage out real light and a 351 makes them go fast. We called it the Zipper. Also done Vegas, Novas, GM F bodies, Mustangs and lite trucks. I am done building street sweepers, I want a warranty and creature comforts and to build race bikes.
well if you want creature comforts you can use a chrysler 5th ave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote