Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #81
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Why wrap the headers?
1) They were scratched in my crash and the bike won't pass inspection with visible damage.
2) It's cheaper than replacing them.
3) Header wrap holds in the heat so the exhaust stays hotter in the header and flows better... frees up a couple HP.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #82
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
1) They were scratched in my crash and the bike won't pass inspection with visible damage.
2) It's cheaper than replacing them.
3) Header wrap holds in the heat so the exhaust stays hotter in the header and flows better... frees up a couple HP.
Florida may be different, but in PA they won't pass you if your pipes are wrapped. They automatically assume that you're hiding something.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #83
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Florida may be different, but in PA they won't pass you if your pipes are wrapped. They automatically assume that you're hiding something.
I'll be forced to kill someone if that's the case.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #84
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

did you finally figure out how to get your bike registered? I thought it was a no go
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #85
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
did you finally figure out how to get your bike registered? I thought it was a no go
Yeah, there's a nice little loophole... Since I have an out of state salvage title, all I need is the following:

1) an estimate of the repair damages
or
1) pictures of the bike in it's damaged state

and

2) parts lists of all parts repaired or replaced (receipts optional)

Then I take that bitch in to be inspected and it's all good. I CANNOT take in my estimate though, cause it recognizes that the vehicle damage was more than 80% of the value of the vehicle, so they will not even look at it. Pictures on the other hand are A-Ok.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #86
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

but wont' they see that the headers are damaged and then see that all you did was wrap them? I'd be eye'n flea-bay
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #87
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
but wont' they see that the headers are damaged and then see that all you did was wrap them? I'd be eye'n flea-bay
I'm gonna risk it... I won't take in the up close picture that shows the header... You only need a picture of the front, back, and both sides... I will bring some pictures from the day when I crashed, but not one that shows the header well.

The only problem will be this picture, which when shrunk down and printed out shouldn't be too noticeable...

This picture will stay at home:
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #88
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

wonder if Trip could help you out with photoshop? just to make sure it doesn't show up on the shrunken version?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #89
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Looks good... you can also take some black heat paint and paint the straps over.

Oh and by the way... those straps SUCK! They will brake later. I suggest standard issue hose clamps.

Oh and on the first time you fire it up... have it outside. They will smoke like a bitch! Run them thru a few heat cycles... the first one shoudl run till they quit smoking then turn them off and let them cool till you can touch them... then run for another cycle... then cool... then you're good to go.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #90
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
wonder if Trip could help you out with photoshop? just to make sure it doesn't show up on the shrunken version?
That would be fantastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Looks good... you can also take some black heat paint and paint the straps over.

Oh and by the way... those straps SUCK! They will brake later. I suggest standard issue hose clamps.

Oh and on the first time you fire it up... have it outside. They will smoke like a bitch! Run them thru a few heat cycles... the first one shoudl run till they quit smoking then turn them off and let them cool till you can touch them... then run for another cycle... then cool... then you're good to go.
Yeah, I read that elsewhere... I need to pick up the header wrap sealant stuff anyway, so I'll pick up some hose clamps to finish it off right... I'll make sure to run them through a couple cycles, but from what I've read, they'll probably smoke for longer than two heat cycles...