Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southwest Riders

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E
Default San Antonio?

So I found out this week that I'm moving to San Antonio in April. I'll be bringing the 636, but not the other two bikes. I'll have to find a bike for the wife when I get out there, but she hasn't ridden too many different bikes and is picky, so we'll be doing a lot of "test-sitting".

So for those of you down that area, are there any dealerships worth a damn? We'll probably be looking for something used, and along the lines of an FZ6/SV/etc.

Since I'll apparently be in the "Texas Hill Country", is there good riding to be had out there?

I heard something about this "Elite Trackdays" company- anybody have anything good to say about them?

What else do I need to know about the area? I understand that both Austin and Houston are relatively short trips, right?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well first... you'll have to sell the 636 and buy a Ducati... then you can hang with Moira...

naw... HHR is a sweet track... got to see it first hand... (didn't have the bike or gear or time to ride it)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
So I found out this week that I'm moving to San Antonio in April.
Good time... it's after our so-called winter and before it gets disgustingly hot

Quote:
So for those of you down that area, are there any dealerships worth a damn? We'll probably be looking for something used, and along the lines of an FZ6/SV/etc.
You'll do better looking in San Antonio or maybe New Braunfels. Austin area dealerships tend to be reluctant to make good deals (in my experience).

Quote:
Since I'll apparently be in the "Texas Hill Country", is there good riding to be had out there?
Yes. You just have to avoid deer, gravel, cops, and traffic.

Quote:
I heard something about this "Elite Trackdays" company- anybody have anything good to say about them?
A spiffy young track... a track day company run by a serious motorcyclist for serious motorcyclists... what's not to love?

Quote:
What else do I need to know about the area? I understand that both Austin and Houston are relatively short trips, right?
Between SA and Austin are some of the best roads.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Lots o'dealers, bring your leathers, skip the Duc, ride the ninj!
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
well first... you'll have to sell the 636 and buy a Ducati... then you can hang with Moira...

naw... HHR is a sweet track... got to see it first hand... (didn't have the bike or gear or time to ride it)
So I, too, can be an "elitist asshole"?

I'm definitely bringing my leathers. I've been hooked on trackdays since my first one (the track is worse than heroin, I swear to God), and my wife wants to get out and try one out but has yet to have the opportunity- the last 2 that happened out in Okinawa her bike was down and she couldn't go.

Seriously, though, I've heard that there are a few different trackday organizations out there but that Elite is the best for instruction (not to kiss Moira's ass, just what I've heard). I've also heard that they are the priciest, but that may just mean I have to do less of them and get more out of each. Quality over quantity, right?

Besides, I really need to get my wife on the track. She was dragging hard parts on her ZZR within a month of her first ride, so the track is a must for her.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Seriously, though, I've heard that there are a few different trackday organizations out there but that Elite is the best for instruction (not to kiss Moira's ass, just what I've heard). I've also heard that they are the priciest, but that may just mean I have to do less of them and get more out of each. Quality over quantity, right?
From what I hear about other org/track prices, yes.

BUT there's 8 - 30min sessions for either Group 1(novice) or 2(advanced). That's 4 HOURS of straight riding. Most org run 6-8 20min sessions. Great if you're a minute man, but 30min gives you plenty of time to be comfortable go out when you want, come in when you want, and go back out if time allowed.

Group 1 also usually entails 2:1 student/instructor ratio, and depending on what day you go, almost 1:1. All of the instructors are familiar to the track, and most of them have more riding experience than I've been licensed to drive, including a few visits from an AMA SuperStock/Sport professional. And if you've never done a trackday, I would recommend Elite as you're first go round.(esp for your wife, I know theres at least 1 female instructor at every one, may make things more comfortable for those a little more timid)

Plus this year there was about 2 trackdays a month. Varying days from Friday, Sat/Sun enitre weekends, and Mondays. Since you'll be here in April, I don't know next years schedule, but you should be getting in around the peak-before-hell time. *110+ this past summer, with like 140deg track surface. It be hot sometimes.

And the biggest benefit - it's about a 45min drive depending on where you're at in SA.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
psychochild28
Banned

Moto: SV 650S

Don't know about the roads there but I've visted an ex there a few times in the past few years and loved the area. The river walk was pretty cool.
psychochild28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

You're best bet for dealerships are the ones in New Braunfels. I hate all dealerships, but they aren't aweful.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the area but NB is North of SA on 35 right South of San Marcos where H2R is.

There is a Kawi dealer in Universal City(North of SA) that is pretty good.

On which base will you be stationed? Randolph? If so, you will be really close to all these places, and Randolph might be the prettiest base ever.

I grew up in SA and had several friends/boyfriends stationed at Randolph so if that is where you are going I can help you out with learning the area.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Nah, I'll be across town at Lackland. I actually put in for Randolph, but an awesome job popped up at Lackland, so I'm going there instead.

I will definitely need some help with the area, though. The only time I've ever been out there was for Basic Training years ago, and that's not a very good way to get to know San Antonio.

It'll be good for my wife to meet some female riders, too- she's gonna miss her Japanese girls that she rides with out in Oki.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Nah, I'll be across town at Lackland. I actually put in for Randolph, but an awesome job popped up at Lackland, so I'm going there instead.

I will definitely need some help with the area, though. The only time I've ever been out there was for Basic Training years ago, and that's not a very good way to get to know San Antonio.

It'll be good for my wife to meet some female riders, too- she's gonna miss her Japanese girls that she rides with out in Oki.
Well everyone goes to SA for basic and I think that is why so many AF people hate SA.

Yeah Lackland is really on the other side of town, but the great thing about SA is there are highways everywhere and it doesn't take you long(relatively) to get across town.

Since you are gonna be kinda West, you can get to some fantastic hill country rides pretty quick North and West of where Lackland is.

Lori(skiergirl) probably lives closest to SA out of all of us and I know she used to go to SA regularly to ride with a group. I think she might not as much anymore since she lives like a mile from the track.

There aren't too many of us that ride on the street regularly anymore(or at all) but definitely have her come out to H2R. That's where all the cool kids go.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote