Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Old School SS

Boring?

I know that my affinity for "slow" bikes irritates some of you. What's exciting about an 85-90 hp "sportbike", eh? When the modern 600's are putting out 120hp at the rear wheel and weigh almost as little as my 17 yr old piece of iron, right?

I've gone through more than a dozen modern sportbikes so far this year, from GSXR's to ZX10, to R6's, R1's and a bunch in between...and haven't been tempted to keep a one of 'em.

The Ducati L-twin format fits my riding style. I seldom superslab it, preferring meandering backroads, small sleepy towns and the joy of discovering tight, surprising roads in out-of-the-way places.

Air-cooled, two valves make for simple service. The simple addition of MBP collets and keepers for the valves make valve service a 12-15000 mile thing, just like "modern" bikes....'except I don't have to pull camshafts to do service. Pop a cover, check the clearance, slide the rocker out of the way, switch the shims (only 8 between openers and closers and usually only one or two may be out-of-tolerence), button it back up and I'm done. With practice, you can be done with a major service in 4 hours from Dzus fasteners to finish.

The Ducati trellis frame is a stiff, forgiving thing. It's "old school" geometry of steep rake and long trail gives the rider a rock-stable platform in long sweepers, but requires a bit of muscle in the the tight stuff. A fair trade-off as the bike has no steering damper, but doesn't need one. After 6 hrs of a mix of tight, technical roads in WVA along with high speed sweepers through the parks in Southern PA, the bike really was a hoot and i didn't want to think about going home.

Some bikes go FAST, but you are worn out after 2 hours. If you like to do long miles on a mix of roads, the DUC can fill the bill. I mentioned earlier that many bikes make more pure topend horsepower, which is great on the front straight at Summit but if you are into keeping you license, you'll likely never need all of that.

What I didn't mention was the quality, or spread of the available power, or the massive amounts (74 ft/lbs @8200 rpm) of torque available from just off idle all the way to 9250 rpm. With relatively tall gearing, the Duc cruises in 6th gear showing 78mph on the Veglia speedo (76 by GPS) with just turning a lazy 3800 RPM.

By the same token, spinning the motor up nearer the torque peak starting around 7kRPM nets you 3rd gear wheelies exiting turns, aided by the more rearward seating position compared to other bikes.

Mine is equipped with a Corbin Gunfighter saddle and stock bars and pegs. I managed three tanks of gas without leg cramps or a sore butt.

Braking is big Brembo disks and calipers which afford perfect feel and one-finger lockup if so desired, but modulation is easy and there is tons of warning.

Mileage for the backroad farting around was 42.

I know... you'll clean the Duc's clock on long straight runs and long sweepers.
The Duc is the kind of bike that can make a mediocre rider like me look like a good one when the going gets tough.
Works for me.....

Last edited by OTB; 09-20-2010 at 08:05 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Love it. But, I too like air-cooled vtwins.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Love it. But, I too like air-cooled vtwins.
I'm with you... I like it, though I'm not one much for fully faired bikes. See, I'd take all that shit off and rock it with all it's beauty exposed.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Nice. Thanks for the write up
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Great bike and great write up.. to each their own really..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'm with you... I like it, though I'm not one much for fully faired bikes. See, I'd take all that shit off and rock it with all it's beauty exposed.
I believe Ducati made the same bike with a half fairing.

OTB, I doubt those small sleepy towns you like riding through are very sleepy once those D&Ds wake everyone up. Nice bike.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
OTB
The Man

Half fairing was the CR model, neekid was the 900m Monster
Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I believe Ducati made the same bike with a half fairing.

OTB, I doubt those small sleepy towns you like riding through are very sleepy once those D&Ds wake everyone up. Nice bike.
Honestly, I think half fairings look even worse 99% of the time...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
OTB
The Man

As far as waking the neighbors, just don't get on it hard and it's not hateful.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
As far as waking the neighbors, just don't get on it hard and it's not hateful.
That Bimota of yours could wake up the entire county.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote