Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Stunting (secret supermoto forum)

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Me and Pete are gonna be in the Gap area Sunday till' Thursday. I'll test it and give you an honest unbiased opinion...
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
I guess what happens is the radiator creates a vacuum when it cools back down and pulls the coolant back in. Gonna buy some engine ice tomorrow and get a bigger catch can. I got the redbull one you posted above, but that thing ain't gonna catch much coolant.. had my buddy pic one up on the way over.
Well the catch can's are so you can run your bike at the track and not spill a single drop. Typical and required for most any track racing. The UFO one goes on the front for the radiator and the Redbull is for any gas/oil drops that could come from the carb. You don't need a big catch for that because that's simply there to see if anythings spewing out of that which could mean a potential motor issue.

Ideally NONE should ever be used in a perfect world so as long as your motor is tip top and you don't let the bike overheat, you'd never need one.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
Me and Pete are gonna be in the Gap area Sunday till' Thursday. I'll test it and give you an honest unbiased opinion...
No truck man.. I'd love to ride up there with you guys, but no way would I ride it there. Still got those A* boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Well the catch can's are so you can run your bike at the track and not spill a single drop. Typical and required for most any track racing. The UFO one goes on the front for the radiator and the Redbull is for any gas/oil drops that could come from the carb. You don't need a big catch for that because that's simply there to see if anythings spewing out of that which could mean a potential motor issue.

Ideally NONE should ever be used in a perfect world so as long as your motor is tip top and you don't let the bike overheat, you'd never need one.
If the bike gets stuck in traffic, apparently it overflows.. I haven't seen it yet, but the previous owner told me about it.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Killer rig.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Yeah.. looking forward to getting all of the stuff, it'll look a lot better then. You know if you can run a fan on the stock electrical system? Or how to create a reservoir to collect and recycle coolant overflow?
I've heard of a few fan solutions for cooling. Most involve mounting a larger computer fan on the rad. If yours has mounting tabs you may be able to do what this guy did.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xbigbore.htm#coolingfan

Actually running the fan depends on if you are running the stock electrical system which, as I understand it on the 450r, is basically nothing. Are the lights running off the stator (probably upgraded if so) or are they running off a total loss system (do you have to charge the battery)?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
No truck man.. I'd love to ride up there with you guys, but no way would I ride it there. Still got those A* boots

If the bike gets stuck in traffic, apparently it overflows.. I haven't seen it yet, but the previous owner told me about it.
Ya it's fairly common.

If it's midsummer and we go ride MX... If I start the bike to warm it up and go get my gear on. I've found the radiator spewing a few times once I came back ready to ride.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

I put the new water wetter in it today, supposed to run cooler than engine ice. Also made an overflow bottle with a "nos" energy drink bottle. Should be a start.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Hit 74 today.. bike is sick, even with leaves on the ground, I was able to go pretty damn fast. It's also been a while since I rode something quick up there. The catch can worked very well.. it got a few ounces of coolant in it during my ride back home and by the time I parked the bike the radiator had sucked it back up.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Bike's starting to come together. Still waiting on some parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0010.jpg (392.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Just sold mine tonight.