Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #31
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

I don't know how anyone can ride on the back of a liter bike for more than 20 miles.

I'm all of 5 foot 2 and my legs cramp up so bad after 20 miles I have to get off of it. Ergos for those bikes are for midgets only.

When I do ride, which isn't often (ass is waaaaay to wide ) I put hands on the tank for braking and hands resting on his back when traveling.

But, because I mainly ride my own, I lean before he does in anticipation of a curve. He asked if I wanted to pilot, cause obviously we weren't going around the curves soon enough.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #32
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Personally, I was my pass with one hand on my side/waist so I can feel where they are, and the other hand bracing on my leg or tank (or grab bar when i had one) Most of the girls I've ridden with also kind of hold on to my hips with their knees too. Not enough to restrict my movement, but enough for me to know where they are and how they are moving.
No one seems to like the seat on the Buell however, no biggy as I usually have the "no ho" on it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Another nice thing about older bikes is that they were made for carrying passengers. I don't care if it's male or female, but they hold on to me tight so there's no space between us. I don't want them, especially their helmet, banging into me.

And there is no movement of the passenger, except for their head. They can move their helmet around my helmet to see ahead to the inside of a curve. But they always lean exactly with me, not with the bike. If they leaned with the bike, you know they would do it wrong, and it could throw me off balance. And I always ride slower with a passenger because of the extra mass.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #34
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
I only brace on the tank if he's braking or accel. hard. I also tend to use my knees a little bit to hold on as well. Doesn't bother Leon at all.

I don't ride on the back very often, I have control issues....
You and me both. But, a hand on the inside of the thigh is fantastic for "holding on". In all seriousness... a hand there, and not only can you hold on but also brake yourself on the tank.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #35
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I took my girlfriend on her very first motorcycle ride today. Our 1st ride was alright but she had trouble sliding into me. I've really only had one passenger one time and the girl who rode on the back had her own motorcycle before and ex rode for years with her so she was very skilled as a passenger.

But I then read this thread and I picked her up from school later on and told her some of the stuff I read on here (Hand on back, knees, stay inline with bike) and the ride was 10x better. She enjoyed it too.

Found some vids. Haven't watched them all yet but figured I'd post them...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdiPjn4jsE

I like how they are preaching motorcycle safety and I can see Beer and they are in a Bar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2PNgnNgZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao3l-2kh40o
Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #36
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Another nice thing about older bikes is that they were made for carrying passengers. I don't care if it's male or female, but they hold on to me tight so there's no space between us. I don't want them, especially their helmet, banging into me.

And there is no movement of the passenger, except for their head. They can move their helmet around my helmet to see ahead to the inside of a curve. But they always lean exactly with me, not with the bike. If they leaned with the bike, you know they would do it wrong, and it could throw me off balance. And I always ride slower with a passenger because of the extra mass.
The ZX-11 was so comfortable I fell asleep one time on the back.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #37
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
You sound like my wife with the control issues, it only took a handful of rides before she decided she needed her own bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I also just brace the tank for braking and accelerated, I pretty much know when either is happening, other than that i loosely hold on with one hand around the waist/hip.

Using your core muscles help with not putting all the pressure on the hands.

Get a sport tourer
I guess I could say me too. It has been so long since I rode as a passenger I kind of forget what I did. But what I do remember is having my arms loosely around Erik while moving and acceleration. When he would brake I would either brace against the tank or put my hands behind and grab the tail section to keep from sliding. Also would tighten abs/core and use legs to control myself as well.
Head is generally right behind him, not much looking around, maybe even closing eyes (but NOT SLEEPING) and just allowing myself to move as the bike moves.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #38
Rider
Moto GP Star

"get your own bike" is the best thing to say to a passenger.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #39
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
"get your own bike" is the best thing to say to a passenger.
Not necessarily. Some shouldn't be on bikes, period.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #40
AquaPython
put it THIS way

thanks for the advice everyone, i will be putting this stuff to good use soon.

i want to get her own bike but she is too timid and not really wanting it at this stage. so for now, while i don't love riding with passengers, i want her to be able to participate and group rides with friends, etc...