Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Clay
I know nothing...

There are some things you spend money on and don't see a massive benefit. There are some things you spend money on and IMMEDIATELY realize it was worth EVERY penny. The GPX is one of those. It's a data collection unit, not just a lap timer. Of course, you have to have a laptop to use it properly. When I come in off the track one of the first things I do is pull off my laps and go over them. It draws out the track and lets you view whatever inputs you've collected. Speed and laptimes are automatic, but you can add RPM, throttle position, gear indicator, and many more very detailed things like suspension travel. Personally I use just use Speed, RPM and Throttle position. You can then overlay your laps and see what you're doing...where you're braking, etc. When you go 1 second faster and you want to know why... you can know EXACTLY why. The BEST benefit is to take it off your bike and throw it on your "fast" buddy's bike. You can immediately know what he's doing that makes him go faster. This was the BIGGEST help when my son was racing. I'd go out and do some fast laps, then overlay them on his laps and show him exactly where I was going faster than he was, down to a specific corner and line on the track.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote