Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default No More Hoot!

http://motorcycledaily.com/20decembe...celthehoot.htm
Quote:
This economic crisis we're having is like watching one of those fogbound 47-car pileups in slow motion. The latest Ford Fiesta to crash into the burning overturned tanker truck? The beloved Honda Hoot.

On December 19th, American Honda announced it would not host the annual Honda Hoot rally, ending a 15-year run of successful motorcycle rallies. The Hoot is a gathering of Honda motorcycle owners in Knoxville, TN each summer. Honda says it's not sponsoring the event because of "economic uncertainty" . . . the same reason it's not fielding a factory Superbike team for AMA competition in 2009.

I attended the 2008 Hoot and was amazed at what a wholesome, well-organized and fun event it was. An army of volunteers (over 1300) organized the events, parking, gear storage and a thousand other details with military-like precision. Lavish programs and ride sheets were available for every event. There was something for everybody; brisk rides through the Smoky Mountains, fish-fries and even a raucous evening of rock-and-roll on the river landing in Knoxville. Hoot attendees were friendly, enthusiastic riders who welcomed other motorcyclists regardless of bike style or brand.

Let's hope 2009 is the last year we'll have to go without a Hoot. Here is the press release from American Honda:

Torrance, CA: American Honda announced today that the 2008 Honda Hoot will bring to a close 15 years of what has been one of the most successful motorcycle rallies in history. Over the years, almost a quarter of a million guests attended the Honda Hoot which was born in the hills of Ashville North Carolina and eventually moved to Knoxville, Tennessee. At the first event, a little over 3000 attendees enjoyed what would grow to become one of the largest rallies in North America

The Hoot set new precedence for what a motorcycle rally should be, offering not only a wonderful opportunity to test ride new products but also focusing on family fun and growing the industry from the ground up. Based on the current economic crunch which may have significant impact on our customers during 2009, American Honda will take this time to seek out new and innovative ways to engage with our customers so that we can continue to ride together.

American Honda extends our deepest gratitude to the more than 1300 volunteers who helped make the Honda Hoot a success and to all our event sponsors, to our two host cities, Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC, and especially to all the good people who helped make the Hoot such a great event.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

I'm not going to miss it one bit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Wow that sucks... I've heard that's actually a lot of fun.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm not going to miss it one bit.
you may not... but there are a lot of people who will. and it was a rally that brought a POSITIVE LIGHT on motorcycling... how many of those are still around?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

It's pretty lame. It's like going to Moto GP and buying something from those overpriced vendors only you don't get to see a badass race. Not many deals to get unless you go the last day and try to get the display items. I went, I won't miss it. It's a hard hit for Knoxville though because we raked in a bunch of tourist coin from it. The only thing good about it is the location of the rides, which I have anyways.

It's not a sportbike event really anyway. It's a lot cruisers and full dressers. It's more geared to that crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 01-15-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

It dosen't hurt my feelings to much in a way. It will make the weekend that they used to desend on the parkway a ltl easier because motorcycle wrecks are crazy on rally weekends. Wonder if the other rallies are taking a hit also?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's pretty lame. It's like going to Moto GP and buying something from those overpriced vendors only you don't get to see a badass race. Not many deals to get unless you go the last day and try to get the display items. I went, I won't miss it. It's a hard hit for Knoxville though because we raked in a bunch of tourist coin from it. The only thing good about it is the location of the rides, which I have anyways.

It's not a sportbike event really anyway. It's a lot cruisers and full dressers. It's more geared to that crowd.
Even if it's lame, it's alarming how much the economy has impacted motorcycling. Between this, Kawasaki pulling/attempting to pull out of MotoGP, and the Red Bull Cup (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...&article=35345)... that's a lof of cancellations in a year. Well, so far this year.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

I have taken my restored 1978 honda 750A to the last two hoots and I am sorry to see it go. I hope the event can get sponsors to get it going again

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I won't miss it, have never been and never will go...but it's sad to see so much stuff being shit canned b/c of a broke ass economy.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Even if it's lame, it's alarming how much the economy has impacted motorcycling. Between this, Kawasaki pulling/attempting to pull out of MotoGP, and the Red Bull Cup (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...&article=35345)... that's a lof of cancellations in a year. Well, so far this year.
There is so much more going on.

It's unfortunate. Much of the big name sponsorship is being re-thought. And, with the big names pulling out - it makes the smaller ones wonder if it is worth it.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote