Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default Very surprised at how different a sportbike is than a standard

I've owned a bunch of different bikes, the fastest being an FZ1. Also had a ZRX1200, Bandit1200S and even an old 1993 ZX6D....but the CBR F4i I picked up (for $1,600 bitches!! ) rides so much differently than anything I've owned it really took me by surprise.

First of all, I fucking love to ride it. I feel much more connected to the bike than others I've had. If you sneeze the bike responds. When you want to corner you just think about it and put a little weight on the inside butt cheek and it just turns right in. Full-lock slow speed turns are very easy. The responsiveness is amazing.

Speed-wise I'm not sure how it compares in a straight line to my old FZ1, but it 'feels' faster. In fact, it feels so fast that I haven't even really got to open her up yet...I can't even imagine what you psychos riding ZX10s and GSXR1000s feel when you crack the throttle open.

I'm sold. Sportbikes for life.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

My best friend since Jr. High had and F4i as a first bike (blah, blah, start small, etc etc)

I rode it a few times and it was a very fun ride for sure.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
My best friend since Jr. High had and F4i as a first bike (blah, blah, start small, etc etc)

I rode it a few times and it was a very fun ride for sure.
The kid I bought this one from had it as a first bike too. Very common I think. After riding it I'm amazed that anyone could learn to ride a motorcycle on this bike and survive it, so mad props to anyone that started on a 600SS and lived to tell the tale.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The kid I bought this one from had it as a first bike too. Very common I think. After riding it I'm amazed that anyone could learn to ride a motorcycle on this bike and survive it, so mad props to anyone that started on a 600SS and lived to tell the tale.
I, uh, may or may not have wound it out in the first few gears for it's first time ever and, uh, may or may not have brought the front wheel off the ground a few times...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

You should try a new generation 600 or even better a motard. Flickability is just something a big fat pig bike can't replicate.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Faster than an FZ1? Not even close...

The bent-forward position makes you think it's faster
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Glad you like it. Alot of folks down in FL where I was at started on those, said they were great for beginner riders but I thought the same thing. Then again, alot of them didnt make it as riders long...they all graduated to "big boy" bikes like busas, and proceeded to crash and quit riding. Or got arrested for being dumb.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I can't even imagine what you psychos riding ZX10s and GSXR1000s feel when you crack the throttle open.

I'm sold. Sportbikes for life.
I'm the opposite. The sportbikes in my collection are the Hayabusa and the TLR. I probably will not buy another sportbike ever again. I'm not selling them, I just won't be buying more like them. I love the BMW I recently picked up, and that bike will make me happy for years to come. The KLR is a means to an end. Not sure what will happen to it when I come back from Prudhoe Bay later this year. I guess how it treats me on the trip will determind that.

I tell ya what though, cracking the throttle open and running full tilt through the first 5 gears on a Busa is a spiritual experience. I shut it down just as I shifted into 6th, as the crosswind at 170mph was beginning to get a bit rough.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I tell ya what though, cracking the throttle open and running full tilt through the first 5 gears on a Busa is a spiritual experience. I shut it down just as I shifted into 6th, as the crosswind at 170mph was beginning to get a bit rough.
I'd hurt myself.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
...I probably will not buy another sportbike ever again. I'm not selling them, I just won't be buying more like them.
/offtopic

Same...

My riding tastes have changed over the years. I used to be all over the agility...and raw power of a sportbike. Now, I compromise....the M109-R has a more comfortable riding position...but has a ton of power and torque. It gives away agility...but still acquits itself well in the twisties. I honestly still am in love with the lines of that bike too.

That said, though...my mind has been daydreaming all winter of a new Kawasaki Concours 14.....in black, of course...and several motorcycle vacations this year. I figure big changes in life require big changes in riding preferences....and being out on the open road to parts unknown really REALLY appeals to me right now.

/ontopic

What did you have to do to get the ECU situation sorted with that bike? Buy a new harness altogether? Did it have a title too?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote