Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom
Default Good first pistol?

Looking to pick something up in the next couple months, but not positive what I'm looking for. Never really been a fan of 9mm, and considering .40 or .45, but wanting to do some research as to what is best. Was looking at a Glock 27 last night and like the idea of a compact. Not sure how much I'll carry, but would like to be able to carry it from time to time without it being obvious. So, what are your suggestions?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Where compacts are concerned, hold one... if at all possible, go somewhere that lets you rent & shoot them first.
With .40 & .45, the last thing you want is one that isn't comfortable to shoot.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

As Adeptus said, hold them to see which fits best. Any of the newer composite framed semi-autos from Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Glock, and (if you can afford it) Heckler and Koch should work well. Keep in mind, the caliber and size (compact, full size) will affect how it fits your hand so try as many styles as possible. Between .40 and .45 I prefer .45 simply because the ammo costs about the same and I don't find the recoil of .45 significantly worse.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

The only problem with the compacts is they tend to be harder to shoot accurately. Shorter barrel, shorter grip = harder to shoot consistant. I do have a Glock 26 and it's plenty accurate but I have big hands so it's hard to hold comfortably. You could look at the 23 (and whatever the .45 is, don't remember) I also have the 23, not much bigger but a full length grip, more solid hold, 13 plus 1 with the .40, the 26 is a 9 plus 1. On the model 26 I have to use the mag extensions to get a 3rd finger on for grip, with out it and only 2 fingers holding, I'm not very good with it. I have extensions for all my mags for it now.

I've heard lots of good things about the SD's and they make a compact now too I think, might check them out. Defintely go to a good shop so you can handle them and see how they feel to you.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

There's a place about an hour away that lets you rent firearms. Of course, you have to buy their ammo for use in the rentals. I've been there before with a friend, but wasn't really in the market so shot lots of different pistols for the fun of it. I plan on going there before buying anything, but wanted to get some ideas on what are decent pistols to get. Good advice so far, keep it rolling.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

What Adeptus and Goof said.

I like the new Smith and Wesson M&P's and Springfield has a good deal on the XDM in 9mm and 40 cal. I've got a couple of Glocks, and they will shoot decent, but I am much more consistent with the Springfield and S&W. Also, with the Glock, you have very little if any as far as a safety is concerned, you just have one device - "All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released." For some that is not a problem and preferred since its one less thing in the way, but for others the idea of having another safety is another piece of mind.

Hand size is another thing, the all are a little different. With the M&P you get 3 different grips that you can swap out for different sizes, can't remember with the Springfields, and what you see is what you get with the Glock. Put them all in your hand for a little bit, get in your position and see if everything feels in place. They all look the same from the pictures, but in your hand is a different story.

Last edited by Hydrant; 01-04-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm in the same boat, Cap. I believe Gas Man carries, or did carry, a Glock 23. I may go that route.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I've heard lots of good things about the SD's and they make a compact now too I think, might check them out. Defintely go to a good shop so you can handle them and see how they feel to you.
SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
There's a place about an hour away that lets you rent firearms. Of course, you have to buy their ammo for use in the rentals. I've been there before with a friend, but wasn't really in the market so shot lots of different pistols for the fun of it. I plan on going there before buying anything, but wanted to get some ideas on what are decent pistols to get. Good advice so far, keep it rolling.
Definitely go rent and shoot everything you can. Some places tell you to buy their ammo, but some will also say this let you bring your own AS LONG AS IT IS FACTORY. They basically don't want to risk reloads in any of their guns.

Some will also cut you a deal if you want to rent a number of guns so you don't have to pay their "full price" for each one.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I'm in the same boat, Cap. I believe Gas Man carries, or did carry, a Glock 23. I may go that route.
That's what I usually carry in my truck (Glock 23). I've got a Kel-Tec P32 that I carry on the bike with me.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Something else I just thought of, spend a little extra to get one with Tritium sights or "night sights". They are awesome in low light conditions!

Forgot to mention the H&K but goof did I see. I love their guns! The full size is huge, the compact is really nice but not really small, more like a sub-compact. Ruger still makes some good guns, I've had a P-85 since they came out. Beretta's are always good too...hell, I like em all!!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote