Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Events

Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default 2010 South Rally Education day

This idea spawned from Amorok's earning of his MSF instructors cert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip and derf View Post
That is awesome, maybe at the next rally we can do a day long ERC?

An instruction day at the rally would actually be really cool. Maybe do a riding class where we can discuss technique and such. Maybe do a garage tech class and try to show some good maintenance practices. Ask people what they want out of it and set it up that way. I wish we had an awesome suspension guru. That's what I really want to learn.
Anyway looking for ideas of what we could do as a day activity. Some things to think about first, we need someone to teach, and cost would probably be an issue; materials/tools/equipment, we will most likely all be on bikes so cant be brining too much stuff along; expense, no we can't afford Bostrom to do a day long class on body position; interest, want to keep it relevant for as many people as possible (an off roading class while cool probably would leave some folks out).

Ideas so far:

1) BRC/ERC MSF course
2) Riding technique/body position
3) garage tech class/good maintenance practices
4) suspension setup "how to"

Last edited by derf; 09-30-2009 at 12:37 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Well, teaching a certified MSF course would require an MSF certified range, and that's kind of involved. Trip, if you know where one is I can talk to the people there and see about an ERC. otherwise I'll bring some stuff and do some nformal something.
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Probably better to do informal.

We need to see what kind of interest people have in this and see if people want to blow a day of vacation on learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Probably better to do informal.

We need to see what kind of interest people have in this and see if people want to blow a day of vacation on learning.

Yea... no offense but I'm certainly not interested in having anyone short of the AWESOME coming in and giving me riding lessons!

As far as suspension goes, if we pay for a bike to be adjusted, I'm sure that Ken Wheeler would be happy to give a class at his shop. Also, Race Tech produces "How To" videos on suspension that I will bring IF there is honest interest. Last year, I brought way too much crap and plan to not make that mistake again.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
t-homo
WSB Champion

I'm not even bringing a change of clothes.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I'll bring my range cards and my stopwatch if people really want me to, we can work on some stuff but anything advanced will have to involve plotting out some distances and angles. Most likely I could just read through some things, most of what I would teach you guys would already know anyway. Is there an MSF range somewhere close by?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I'll bring my range cards and my stopwatch if people really want me to, we can work on some stuff but anything advanced will have to involve plotting out some distances and angles. Most likely I could just read through some things, most of what I would teach you guys would already know anyway. Is there an MSF range somewhere close by?
dont know if there is any in robbinsville, the one for knoxville is a on the other side of knoxville from the gap.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Interesting... but um.... I get 400 extra points in class for bringing the full dresser.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Interesting... but um.... I get 400 extra points in class for bringing the full dresser.
if you can get a knee down, you get 50k points.
Quote:
Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea... no offense but I'm certainly not interested in having anyone short of the AWESOME coming in and giving me riding lessons!

As far as suspension goes, if we pay for a bike to be adjusted, I'm sure that Ken Wheeler would be happy to give a class at his shop. Also, Race Tech produces "How To" videos on suspension that I will bring IF there is honest interest. Last year, I brought way too much crap and plan to not make that mistake again.
Badabang, This idea is great. I know that after I had wheeler set up my suspension for me the bike feels 1000x better, but i really have no clue what he did.