Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Yeah, I know. I got really excited over the diesel GM built for their half-ton trucks, only to have them kill the project before it ever went into production. Even if they had built it, it was projected to tack on something like another $6K onto the price of the truck, which is way too much damn money.

I have seen Ford Rangers overseas with small turbodiesels and manual transmissions. I know that the EPA makes diesel production in the US a bitch, but is it really just not possible to get something like that over here without a ridiculous price tag?
New VW light duty truck not coming to US market, with a diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDH9Ue9_0g

Ran in the Dekar rally this year

Last edited by tallywacker; 10-04-2010 at 06:36 PM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
New VW light duty truck not coming to US market, with a diesel.
Retards. That would sell here.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Retards. That would sell here.
You may be right but I doubt it. I can't think of a single light duty diesel that has sold well in this country in the last 20 years. Add in the likelihood the price will be somewhere between the Jetta Sportwagon TDI (base $24k) and the Touareg TDI (base $44k) and you end up with a $30k+ four banger truck with 160hp. In my opinion that isn't a recipe for success.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

They'd have to build it here, and price it right, but I think given that; it would sell.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
They'd have to build it here, and price it right, but I think given that; it would sell.
Theoretically that may help, but considering VW decided long ago to build the Amarok in Argentina and the Jetta wagon with the lower power version of the 4 banger diesel only driving the front wheels bases at over $24k I don't believe either is possible.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #26
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

People in the U.S. do not want to buy a 30k small pickup. What they want is a 30mpg full size truck for 30k.

GM should have never canned their small diesel 4.5L engine, but with the stringent NOx requirements needing Urea injection, I guess I could see the reason. Another 3-5K added to the price of an already 30k Silverado 1500.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 10-04-2010 at 09:38 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
People in the U.S. do not want to buy a 30k small pickup. What they want is a 30mpg full size truck for 30k.

GM should have never canned their small diesel 4.5L engine, but with the stringent NOx requirements needing Urea injection, I guess I could see the reason. Another 3-5K added to the price of an already 30k Silverado 1500.
If a dealer ever showed me a $30K small pickup, I'd punch him in the face. $30K is too much for a full-size pickup, let alone a small truck.

I buy my trucks to work. That's why I'm interested in small diesel engines- they are great workhorses.

Seriously, though, I challenge any manufacturer to bring a light pickup with a diesel and a real manual transmission that can be sold for under $18K. I don't need (or want) leather interior, quad cabs, bucket seats, DVD players, or even power windows, Give me a basic truck that will get the work done while getting decent mileage, and I'm in.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
If a dealer ever showed me a $30K small pickup, I'd punch him in the face. $30K is too much for a full-size pickup, let alone a small truck.

I buy my trucks to work. That's why I'm interested in small diesel engines- they are great workhorses.

Seriously, though, I challenge any manufacturer to bring a light pickup with a diesel and a real manual transmission that can be sold for under $18K. I don't need (or want) leather interior, quad cabs, bucket seats, DVD players, or even power windows, Give me a basic truck that will get the work done while getting decent mileage, and I'm in.
I would too. I have no need for a giant truck.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Looks a little like my Eclipse GT....except my Eclipse makes quite a bit more HP.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote