Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Well, unlike the M6, it isn't a luxury vehicle.......so why does it need to weigh that much?

And btw I think the M6 is overweight as well.

Having a big engine doesn't necessarily require a heavy car to go with it. Even an engine like that probably weighs only, what, 200-400 lbs?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I can certainly understand reservations about the interior but complaints about the price, weight, and fuel economy of this car are ridiculous to me. This car should have similar interior size and performance to the BMW M6 but will cost half as much, have more power, weigh the same (or less), and get similar (or better) fuel economy. The Camaro should also hold up to the similarly priced (and previously mentioned) GT500 Mustang. I believe both the GT500 and the M6 have sold pretty well.

All the complaints about this ZL1 makes me think there are significantly better options available, but I can't come up with any.
The only real competitor is the GT500. If you can deal with the awkward styling of the Camaro then you end up with the same issue that buyers of Corvettes faced for years.

"I'm spending how much money for THIS interior?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well, unlike the M6, it isn't a luxury vehicle.......so why does it need to weigh that much?

And btw I think the M6 is overweight as well.

Having a big engine doesn't necessarily require a heavy car to go with it. Even an engine like that probably weighs only, what, 200-400 lbs?
I consider both "GT" cars. The areas where the BMW has more weight due to luxury (though an M6 have much more than the Camaro would) are made up for by areas where BMW cut weight through spending like the carbon fiber roof. That's why I considered the two comparable.

For what you are talking about in a 2+2 coupe the Lotus Evora fits. You get the lightness (by around 1000lbs) and the fuel economy, but it costs a hell of a lot more, the interior makes the Camaro look like a Maybach, and you get the engine from a Camry.

The LS9 is over 500 lbs dry from what I have read. The supercharger, intercooler, and additional plumbing leave their mark in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The only real competitor is the GT500. If you can deal with the awkward styling of the Camaro then you end up with the same issue that buyers of Corvettes faced for years.

"I'm spending how much money for THIS interior?"
I personally think the Camaro looks good. That is a matter of personal taste though. Supposedly the interior is better too, but I've never sat in one so I don't know how accurate that is.

Either way, if someone wants a very high performance 2+2 they can get this Camaro, the GT500 (with similar interior issues), or they are spending a ton more money. Really the only car that fixes all the complaints people have expressed about this Camaro is a 911 Turbo. The complaints I've heard are compromises GM had to make. The 911 shows that while those compromises can be avoided it costs a ton to do so.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I consider both "GT" cars. The areas where the BMW has more weight due to luxury (though an M6 have much more than the Camaro would) are made up for by areas where BMW cut weight through spending like the carbon fiber roof. That's why I considered the two comparable.

For what you are talking about in a 2+2 coupe the Lotus Evora fits. You get the lightness (by around 1000lbs) and the fuel economy, but it costs a hell of a lot more, the interior makes the Camaro look like a Maybach, and you get the engine from a Camry.

The LS9 is over 500 lbs dry from what I have read. The supercharger, intercooler, and additional plumbing leave their mark in that respect.

I personally think the Camaro looks good. That is a matter of personal taste though. Supposedly the interior is better too, but I've never sat in one so I don't know how accurate that is.

Either way, if someone wants a very high performance 2+2 they can get this Camaro, the GT500 (with similar interior issues), or they are spending a ton more money. Really the only car that fixes all the complaints people have expressed about this Camaro is a 911 Turbo. The complaints I've heard are compromises GM had to make. The 911 shows that while those compromises can be avoided it costs a ton to do so.

Mustang interiors are supposed to pretty nice nowadays.
Camaro has a lot of awkward angles and it definitely a car that polarizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Also gm has had some fairly crappy interiors over the years, and while the pictures of the show model are usually better than thee final product. Anyway gm generally sucks.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Z wants to get a camaro convert n a few yrs, I have no prob w that. I'd rather get an ol skool hot rod first

http://www.harwellmotors.com/muscle-.../1d37f2b695485

She's wanted 1 for a few yrs now, it's been about 8-9 yrs sine her '93 z28 was stolen
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 02-10-2011 at 06:40 PM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
....And I wonder if that oil pressure gauge actually reacts to changing RPM & temperature like it's supposed to, or does it just stay in a "normal" range all the time to prevent clueless people from getting scared.
It reads the gauge pressure....do you see an L or H there?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
Red X picture homebrew.

Yeah didn't notice the 50k pricetag, but it is competing with the GT500.

I like the Camaro looks outside alot, though the interior is just OK. Def. has some character unlike ALL japanese shizit. This is a quarter mile car that handles OK...it is no Audi R8 and it's target audience isn't meant to be, though they did up the suspension pretty well as with the driveline.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #29
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Z wants to get a camaro convert n a few yrs, I have no prob w that. I'd rather get an ol skool hot rod first
http://www.harwellmotors.com/muscle-.../1d37f2b695485

Ooooh. Hey Dave, check out the '66 Riv

http://www.harwellmotors.com/muscle-.../494876h957430
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #30
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Ooooh. Hey Dave, check out the '66 Riv

http://www.harwellmotors.com/muscle-.../494876h957430
good lookin old boat. not the right one though, i always preferred the riv with the boat tail.

that 70' charger is pure sex. needs a 4spd though
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote