Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #41
Rider
Moto GP Star

Tigger, you're familiar with GR. 2 nights ago, 2 people were shot in the parking lot of the downtown YMCA. You never know when you will need to protect yourself. It's better to be prepared instead of a victim. The 2nd amendment is there, might as well take advantage of it before the government takes that right away.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #42
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

mine will actually stay in my vehicle most of the time.
the ccw is just so i don't have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #43
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I know you all are going to accuse me of "trolling" but why do you all feel the need to be armed everywhere you go? I grew up in the hood,I've lived in the hood as an adult,and I even spend some time there now but I've never been in a situation where I've needed a gun. Heck,in fact,it's probably better that I didn't have one in some instances. Honestly,I know we've had this fight over machine guns in the home,now all of you want to roam the streets packing heat and I have to ask,what are you all so afraid of? I mean all this talk about,"it better go bang when you NEED it". What do you all expect to happen ? Seriously,no offense,but I know that some of you live in the suburbs and others live in the sticks,how many muggings do you encounter in your daily lives? Now don't get me wrong,I know and agree that you have a right to bear arms. I'm just wondering why do you think you need to carry a gun on your person at all times?

Three easy answers.

1. the Luby's massacre of 1991
2. the VA Tech massacre of 2007
3. the Colorado church shooting spree of 2007

All of these incidents are cases where -one- armed, firearms proficient citizen could have ended a senseless rampage that killed or wounded unarmed victims.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Tigger, you're familiar with GR. 2 nights ago, 2 people were shot in the parking lot of the downtown YMCA. You never know when you will need to protect yourself. It's better to be prepared instead of a victim. The 2nd amendment is there, might as well take advantage of it before the government takes that right away.
Oh I fully understand what CAN happen,I've picked people off of my lawn and taken them to emergency when I lived on Paris/Franklin. I don't know what happened in the incident you describe,I but can you be sure that it wouldn't have happened if everyone had guns? What were those people doing there? Were they just minding their own business and someone came out of no where and shot them? Oh and I am familiar with Grand Rapids and I bet there aren't 10 more such instances for the rest of the year in an area of what,about a million? besides,buddy have you started hanging out on the west side,in the hood these days?

This is a doomed position,but remember the Old West? In those days basically everyone carried a gun and they had massive murder rates. I live in a right to carry state right now,and people still get shot here. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have the right to carry,just wondering why. I mean wouldn't it be better to just avoid circumstances that almost always precipitate such occurrences?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #45
Rider
Moto GP Star

I'm of the mind that if everyone carried criminals would mind their P and Q a little more. Most criminals are cowards and would not attack someone knowing they were armed. And no I don't hang in the hood, but I do go to the downtown Y sometimes because their hours are better than the one closer to me. I still live out near Ada.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #46
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Quote:
This is a doomed position,but remember the Old West? In those days basically everyone carried a gun and they had massive murder rates. I live in a right to carry state right now,and people still get shot here. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have the right to carry,just wondering why. I mean wouldn't it be better to just avoid circumstances that almost always precipitate such occurrences?
In the old west, armed individuals (or gangs) who were predisposed to using their weapons to ill ends preyed on either the unarmed, or those not so proficient or numerous as themselves.
There was little or no law enforcement, and no forensics to trace their crimes back to the perpetrators.
Such is not the case now. However, since you cannot expect criminals to voluntarily give up their weapons and the police are still not omnipresent (and, honestly.. would we want them that way?), sometimes the best solution is for responsible, law-abiding citizens to take their defense into their own hands.

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 03-05-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #47
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
In the old west, armed individuals (or gangs) who were predisposed to using their weapons to ill ends preyed on either the unarmed, or those not so proficient or numerous as themselves.
There was little or no law enforcement, and no forensics to trace their crimes back to the perpetrators.
Such is not the case now. However, since you cannot expect criminals to voluntarily give up their weapons and the police are still not omnipresent (and, honestly.. would we want them that way?), sometimes the best solution is for responsible, law-abiding citizens to take their defense into their own hands.
Precisely why I want to be prepard. Besides, 16 years as a boy scout taught me its better to be prepared and not need something than to need it and not be prepared.

.45? well thats just the round I prefer, its got the stopping power I want to ensure that whatever gets shot doesnt get up if its placed well.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #48
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Let me just throw in one more thing because I sense a rebuttal coming.

Not having a gun doesn't automatically make you a victim.
Neither does having a gun guarantee that you won't be a victim.
Having a gun merely gives you a choice.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #49
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I want to carry because I have seen REPEATEDLY that police do NOT respond in enough time to help people. I live in the suburbs of Nashville and was woken up a few weeks ago to screaming outside. Turns out a guy and girl got in a fight and were beating the shit out of each other. Both were drunk. I ended up calling the cops saying "this could get ugly". It took them 25 mins to show up. What could have happened in 25mins? People think the cops are like the calvelry that is going to save you. They mostly seem to be a clean up crew to me. I don't want to have to rely on them for my safety.

And I have been mugged, I had my arm grabbed on my motorcycle by a guy at night. He took off when a truck pulled up just in time. I have had a lead pipe pulled on our riding group cause some rednecks in the hilled didn't want us on "their roads" and I have had a meth head threaten to kill/myself and riding buddies cause we "looked at him funny" Shit happens and I don't want to EVER feel helpless.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #50
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Oh I fully understand what CAN happen,...
Well, so do I. I carry a gun for the same reason I carry a battery jump box in my vehicle and an emergency amount of cash, just in case I need it. I hope I never do, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My circumstance is a little different than yours and my possibility of needing one is a little higher. If someone shows up looking for me I'd rather be armed with something a little more persuasive than strong language.
Quote:
I mean wouldn't it be better to just avoid circumstances that almost always precipitate such occurrences?
Sure is. You tell me what all of those circumstances are and I'll avoid them. Give me a schedule at the beginning of each month where the crazies and criminals will be for the next 30 days and I'll steer clear. Also, make sure to include what specific days I'm at risk for a car jacking or home invasion and I'll be sure to leave town. Once I start getting that calendar from you I'll stop carrying. I won't hold my breath though.