Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post

Seriously man? I want something I can ride hard, I already have a quirky old V twin. I want a sportbike manufactured within the last 8 years or so.
All you said was you wanted an under 1000 V-twin......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Did a little research, the Ducs you referenced have less HP than SVs, same torque or less, and weigh more. Again, I really do appreciate the advice, but if I were going to get something larger than the SV, I'd get an RC-51 or maybe an Aprilia Mille. I've got my eye on a late model SV with low miles and some nice suspension/exhaust upgrades.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
OTB
The Man

Sorry, just read your original post and you said your options are limited...if you want fast, water-cooled v-twin, then you could also look at the 748... I had a pristine example this spring with less than 4k on it for less than $4k and it would romp all over the sv.. I know cause I have a 650 with a Penske shock and Racetech forks and some engine mods and a stock SV1000 and it ran circles all around both... but you said you wanted and SV and that's what you've made up your mind for.

OK...got it.....
Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
OTB
The Man

As to your original question;
without engine work, you are pretty much limited to exhaust, filter/airbox, PCommander and a dyno map. These mods will yield about an additional 4-8 rear-wheel HP (at least on our Dynojet 250i that's what we see).

If this is a strictly track machine, you can coax an additional 2-4 HP out using MR11 or 12 race gas, but you'll need to drain and flush after each weekend.

After that, it's pretty much crack it open; there are high comp kits, stroker kits, big bore kits, cams, bored-out throttle bodies (which won't give you any more HP till you've done the other stuff).
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Damn, I thought it would be more than that with all of the emissions crap. I was hoping for another 8-10hp from the PCIII, Filter, full exhaust. I might just do a slipon for the SV if it's only netting a couple HP anyway.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Damn, I thought it would be more than that with all of the emissions crap. I was hoping for another 8-10hp from the PCIII, Filter, full exhaust. I might just do a slipon for the SV if it's only netting a couple HP anyway.
The only real "emissions control crap" on the SV are twofold; the air injection of the exhaust to burn hydrocarbons in the tailpipe before they go out, and extremely lean mixture in the lower rpm range.

Enriching up the mixture is going to see some power LOSS.... offset by the increased flow of a full system and better filter.

You might see 1-2 hp with just a can; a good full system will same you 10-15 lbs and provide for better flow.

Most of the gains have to do with the initial state of tune and the care to which the bike is re-set up and mapped.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Stickers. Lots of stickers.

But seriously, OTB has it nailed. You can put an aTRE on for less jerky response in the first few gears but that isn't going to give you any increase in bhp.

Other than what's already been mentioned (exhaust, air filter, etc) you'd definitely need to crack open the engine. At that point, you'll have put more $ into it that could have been spent on a bike with more stock bhp. You're better off investing in better tires and putting more into the suspension (I know you said the suspension has already been upgraded - was that just by changing the stock fork innards and replacing the rear shock with a surrogate shock like a ZX6R or similar or is it a full setup like an Ohlins or Penske setup? If the former, save for the latter - I know I am . If the latter, get it dialed in/resprung specifically for you). The SV isn't a power machine, nor was it really intended to be. It is, however, flickable and fun as hell to ride - get one for that reason. If bhp is the requirement, go for something else.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Stickers. Lots of stickers.

But seriously, OTB has it nailed. You can put an aTRE on for less jerky response in the first few gears but that isn't going to give you any increase in bhp.

Other than what's already been mentioned (exhaust, air filter, etc) you'd definitely need to crack open the engine. At that point, you'll have put more $ into it that could have been spent on a bike with more stock bhp. You're better off investing in better tires and putting more into the suspension (I know you said the suspension has already been upgraded - was that just by changing the stock fork innards and replacing the rear shock with a surrogate shock like a ZX6R or similar or is it a full setup like an Ohlins or Penske setup? If the former, save for the latter - I know I am . If the latter, get it dialed in/resprung specifically for you). The SV isn't a power machine, nor was it really intended to be. It is, however, flickable and fun as hell to ride - get one for that reason. If bhp is the requirement, go for something else.
100% agreement. It always amazes me watching guys spend thousands of dollars to make a bike gain 20 hp...just get a bigger bike. I'm not sure why the SV1000 is off the table.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
100% agreement. It always amazes me watching guys spend thousands of dollars to make a bike gain 20 hp...just get a bigger bike. I'm not sure why the SV1000 is off the table.
Or the mille...
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Because an SV1000 doesn't handle like the 650 does, doesn't have near as much support/aftermarket, and also if you were going to get one of those, why not go better and get a TLR?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote