Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Default Manny to serve 50-game suspension

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games for violating its drug policy.

The commissioner's office didn't announce the specific violation by Ramirez, who will lose about one-third of his $25 million salary.

Ramirez's test result was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

i'd like to say that this a case of Manny being Manny...but if his story is legit then I think its F'ed up that he is being suspended. Sports has to make exceptions to the rules in cases of personal health. If it turns out that this drug was prescribed by his doctor then he really shouldn't be suspended for 50 games. And if MLB is so worried about doping then they should have an approved list of doctors that players can visit...its really getting old and fast!

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

With all the issues about "performancing enhancing drugs" That have been around since the '90's and including the reports about McGuire and Sosa and the book by Canseco, or the problems A Rod is having right now, do we need to include talking about Bonds using steroids...any player caught using a banned substance should be banned from the game...period?

Just because he gets a doctor to write a prescription doesn't make it OK...Didn't Limbaugh face prosecution because he was doctor shopping to get the drugs he wanted?

No Way you can ever convince me cheating is OK

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
I'd like to say that this a case of Manny being Manny...but if his story is legit then I think its F'ed up that he is being suspended. Sports has to make exceptions to the rules in cases of personal health. If it turns out that this drug was prescribed by his doctor then he really shouldn't be suspended for 50 games. And if MLB is so worried about doping then they should have an approved list of doctors that players can visit...its really getting old and fast!

Athletes are responsible for anything they put in their bodies... period. Being paid that much to be an elite athlete, you should know EVERYTHING going into your body, especially if it's the RULES.

Just my .02
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Curb
resident gimp

You know that acetametphine (sp?) is a banned substance, so one must take ibuprophin...but what if the ibuprophin doesn't work on you and you need to take the acetametaphine...you then get a drug test and bam, you are served a 50 game suspension because you took an asprin instead of an advil. And last time I checked asprin didn't help you're HR count.

Cheating is cheating if you are taking something other than a prescribed drug other than to heal your body from a sickness or injury. Andy Pettite admitted to taking steroids while on the DL list a few years back to get his body healed...no one blamed him for cheating...why is it a double standard then?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

This blows. I'm really hoping his story holds up. I am a boston fan, and also a fan of manny. I wish he would have gone about wanting out of the red sox differently, but he's still a hell of a player. He's taken like 15 drug tests and never tested positive till now.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Curb
resident gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
This blows. I'm really hoping his story holds up. I am a boston fan, and also a fan of manny. I wish he would have gone about wanting out of the red sox differently, but he's still a hell of a player. He's taken like 15 drug tests and never tested positive till now.
that's why i'm on his side on this one...and as a die hard Yankee fan its hard.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
You know that acetametphine (sp?) is a banned substance, so one must take ibuprophin...but what if the ibuprophin doesn't work on you and you need to take the acetametaphine...you then get a drug test and bam, you are served a 50 game suspension because you took an asprin instead of an advil. And last time I checked asprin didn't help you're HR count.

Cheating is cheating if you are taking something other than a prescribed drug other than to heal your body from a sickness or injury. Andy Pettite admitted to taking steroids while on the DL list a few years back to get his body healed...no one blamed him for cheating...why is it a double standard then?
He and other players are paying the price for the cheaters in the league. MLB allowed a situation to continue for so long MLB had to go over the top in the other direction. If they hadn't the US Congress was going to step in. What remains is if a player can't survive without drugs on the banned substance list that player should quit the league. Nobody is forcing them to play baseball, it is a choice for the player to make.

Pettite took them before the league had banned them, which is why he didn't receive a ban. He also admitted to taking them later. I blame him for cheating. So did the Mitchell Report.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Curb
resident gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
He and other players are paying the price for the cheaters in the league. MLB allowed a situation to continue for so long MLB had to go over the top in the other direction. If they hadn't the US Congress was going to step in. What remains is if a player can't survive without drugs on the banned substance list that player should quit the league. Nobody is forcing them to play baseball, it is a choice for the player to make.

Pettite took them before the league had banned them, which is why he didn't receive a ban. He also admitted to taking them later. I blame him for cheating. So did the Mitchell Report.
Look, this whole thing is ridiculous, ok. People need to stop look at sports as a business. These men are paid to preform everyday. we also need to remember that they are human beings and risk injury and illness everyday. unfortunately major league sports has to understand the line between cheating and healing. I stand behind what I have always said...It is bullshit if a sports player has an illness and can't walk into any drug store and buy sudafed or asprin to help alleviate the symptoms because he risks a 50 game suspension because people think he is cheating because a banned substance shows up.

here is an idea folks...next time you have a headache or cold...do nothing and see how it feels and then go to the gym for two hours and do a normal workout and remember that this is the life of an athlete. because that is what i get from most people...these guys are paid millions so they SHOULD have to suck it up.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
baby Ray
Trailer Queen

Moto: 96 katana 600

f all them over paid dickheads
baby Ray is offline   Reply With Quote