Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...
Uhhhh, combined with the low price on the bike, at first glance it sounds very much like a possible scam to me. I'd check out the 'third party bank' thoroughly and ask for/read the fine print on the escrow conditions.

As for being 'right' - I don't think it's too hard when one strives to make a self-fulfilling prophesy. Has she ever heard anything other than 'OMG this thing is so slow' from you? In fairness, I guess I can understand a bit more since she's (presumably) riding flat/straight roads for the most part - but I can't help but wonder where her shift-points are. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kathy went through that phase of 'sick of being left behind' until she learned to keep it pinned and wring it out for everything it was worth. Then she progressed to the point she had no problem riding at the same pace as the 'fast' group except when the straightaway speeds went up into triple digits (of course, we're in a much more twisty area than you guys). Knowing first-hand what those little bikes are capable of at their (true) limits, it's just hard not to think 'bored with it' = 'not flogging the piss out of it like it needs'.

Anyway - careful with the transaction (maybe consider asking for an escrow service of her choice), and good luck to her w/ the purchase & new bike. That is a smokin' deal if it's legit!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

good for her. congrats on the bike.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
LOL @ not enough. I suppose if she's just street riding where you guys are with all the upright highway stretch riding, "ok".

But just a little info for her, at tight, small, or otherwise technical track a 1000 has no more advantage than a 250.
Yea who said my girl was EVER going to go to the track? NOBODY!!!! We are street riders!

BTW I see that YOUR woman has a 750....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Did I mention that the helmet that comes with it is a Shark RSR2? or that the jacket and gloves are A*s? Jesus, this deal is crazy! I sure hope that it all goes well for her!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Uhhhh, combined with the low price on the bike, at first glance it sounds very much like a possible scam to me. I'd check out the 'third party bank' thoroughly and ask for/read the fine print on the escrow conditions.

As for being 'right' - I don't think it's too hard when one strives to make a self-fulfilling prophesy. Has she ever heard anything other than 'OMG this thing is so slow' from you? In fairness, I guess I can understand a bit more since she's (presumably) riding flat/straight roads for the most part - but I can't help but wonder where her shift-points are. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kathy went through that phase of 'sick of being left behind' until she learned to keep it pinned and wring it out for everything it was worth. Then she progressed to the point she had no problem riding at the same pace as the 'fast' group except when the straightaway speeds went up into triple digits (of course, we're in a much more twisty area than you guys). Knowing first-hand what those little bikes are capable of at their (true) limits, it's just hard not to think 'bored with it' = 'not flogging the piss out of it like it needs'.

Anyway - careful with the transaction (maybe consider asking for an escrow service of her choice), and good luck to her w/ the purchase & new bike. That is a smokin' deal if it's legit!

Yea I was worried but... it's thru EBay buyer protection and the bank is WaMu... She messaged Ebay about it and they assure her that it's on the up and up....

The other thing that gives me some confidence is the fact that my buddy that works at a dealer confirmed that the dealer would have only offered about $3500-4000 for the bike. He was saying that they are picking up repos at auctions for 2 or 3k and even got a '09 R1 for just over 5 grand a few weeks ago... Last Summer I did some work for a guy that owns a car dealership that sells bike in the Spring and he was picking up '06/'07/'08 GSXR1000s and 'Busas for around $5-6000 no bs.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh and Kerry, Racer, track guys, etc... here's the thing, when did any of you EVER get the "maximum performance" out of any bike you owned before you upgraded? Kerry, you have a VFR, are you stating that you had gotten the absolute most you could get out of it before you got your GSXR? Oh and you especially, Racer, did you "max out" your last bike before getting that 'Busa? Of course not. None of us have.

Kerry, I understand that your old lady kept her 250 forever and learned to beat the fuck out of it and managed to keep up, yadda, yadda, yadda... My gf has taken the edges of her tires and I think that she does very well on that 250, as I have stated. I personally don't want her to upgrade until Spring BUT I cannot deny that if legit, this deal is too good to pass up. She has agreed to leave the bike parked until I say that she is ready. Trust me, there will be several very controlled rides before she takes that bike out alone. My point is that Cathy is the exception, NOT the rule and that is why I am "right".

For the type of riding , MOST of us do on the street, a 250 is the wrong starter bike in a lot of cases imho. BTW I still don't recommend a Super Sport for a first bike for most people but a 500/650 would probably be okay and give a "fast learner" or someone with some experience a better, more satisfying platform, to grow on. Besides, no one can deny that the 250 has a piss poor chassis, crappy brakes, and cobbled parts bin components. A GSXR 600's suspension and brakes are a million times better. Shit, I thought she was going to throw it in the weeds a few times because of the brakes and flexing/bottomed out front forks! She won't know what to do with herself once she gets a load the brakes and ride on this bad boy!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yep, hey she did really well on both of these bikes! About $2500 on the 250 and this crazy $4000 on the 600... I was concerned but this guy has a 100% approval rating and has sold a bike and a car before on EBay. The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...
FYI,

Tigger, I hope for your sakes this is a real deal, BUT

Unless the deal is done through a certified and licensed escrow corp, there is a pretty good chance you are being scammed.

If you propose an escrow service of your own and a shipper of your own and you start getting "excuses" for why you must use his service, it's a scam..

I always offer to fly out and inspect the bike and waive the waiting period, and whenever it's a scam I get the shell game..."the bikes not in city X, it's in their warehouse in city Y", or ""It's in a high security bonded area...blah blah blah...". Ok then I tell them I'll fly to city Y....either they stop replying or dream up another reason why i can't see the bike "in situ"..........and it's a scam..................

Let me guess; the bike is in another state, they (bank; ebay, moneybookers, ect.) handle all the shipping arrangements and your have (3 days/5 days/10 days) to examine and approve the merchandise. You would not be the first guy to have been snookered by somebody who hijacked someone else's ebay acct. Banks don't ship bikes...neither does ebay, escrow corps, or anybody but SHIPPERS.

Also, vehicles not purchased through ebay aren't eligible for buyer protection.

There's a pretty good chance that the "seller" used hijacked links to spoof sites to fool you.

Who knows, it might be legit, but my nose is twitching...........I've been wrong before....I think.............

Last edited by OTB; 10-05-2009 at 10:09 AM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
Rider
Moto GP Star

Tigger,

If you haven't seen the bike in person, I'd stay clear of this deal. I'm paranoid about being scammed so maybe it's just me but this deal doesn't seem right.

You know the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, then usually it is...
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Hopefully it works out and is legit.

If so...congrats to her for finding such a steal of a deal.

My wife started on a 600 and it has been over two years and SO FAR everything has worked out 100% fine...she loves it and has logged a little over 9k miles without an issue.

We rode Saturday and again yesterday and had a blast.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well fellas, it's a scam! Hopefully we caught it in time! I feel bad because I should have asked more questions but my gf is a very good salesperson and convinced me that it was legit. I told her from the start that I would be happy to handle it for her and to have the guy call me but she wanted to do it herself.... It looks bad but there's a chance that she didn't lose her money because the credit union didn't try to send the money until about 9:15 and she called them at 10.... I just hope that it turns out okay for her! She is so impatient! Maybe next time she'll be more inclined to listen to an old guy.