Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Leathers tucked in or out?

Ok, so here is something I never understood, why is it that some folks tuck their leathers into their boots, while others wear them outside their boots, I had never thought about it until I saw it on moto gp today and it got me thinking
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I think its personal preference really. I go either way depending on what pair of leathers I'm wearing at the time.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

My leathers don't even fit over my boots, I never even thought of wearing them over the boots
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My leathers don't even fit over my boots, I never even thought of wearing them over the boots

But I went riding with a guy a few weeks ago and he left his pants unzipped at the bottom and over his boots.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Real race suits are meant to be tucked into the boots. Yes, Dainese made a suit that went over the boot, but not many people bought it, and I'm pretty sure it faded out.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Real race suits are meant to be tucked into the boots. Yes, Dainese made a suit that went over the boot, but not many people bought it, and I'm pretty sure it faded out.
My old leather pants went over the boots and I preferred it personally. I didn't like the added bulk in my boot. besides, I think it looks better, myself.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
was92v
Nowhere Man

My opinion is that tucked in is better for crash protection. Pant legs and jacket sleeves catch and roll or pull up when they are exposed. boots help hold them in place and doesn't offer an edge to catch when sliding. It is the same reason I always buy gloves with a gauntlet. In the old days everyone wore lace up work or combat boots for riding and there was no place to tuck the legs into.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Rossi's suit still goes OVER his boots. so can't really say it faded out...

but yeah it's how the suit was made... some are meant to go over others to be tucked in. also I think the type of boot you have makes a difference. ie look at the A*'s and then look at Dainese's... the top of the A*'s are huge it'd look retarded pulling your suit over that.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
Rossi's suit still goes OVER his boots. so can't really say it faded out...

but yeah it's how the suit was made... some are meant to go over others to be tucked in. also I think the type of boot you have makes a difference. ie look at the A*'s and then look at Dainese's... the top of the A*'s are huge it'd look retarded pulling your suit over that.

Ah the A* are adjustable and my jeans/textile pants pull over them just fine even with my leg armor in them.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
My opinion is that tucked in is better for crash protection. Pant legs and jacket sleeves catch and roll or pull up when they are exposed. boots help hold them in place and doesn't offer an edge to catch when sliding. It is the same reason I always buy gloves with a gauntlet. In the old days everyone wore lace up work or combat boots for riding and there was no place to tuck the legs into.
I've honestly looked at the sleeve thing critically and the sleeve on all of my jackets are too thick/stiff to move more than an inch or so.... I know an inch of exposed skin is an inch of exposed skin but the location of that gap makes it an unlikely place for road rash. IMHO Btw I've crashed in jeans several times and I've never had a pair "roll up" or "pull up" significantly. I don't see how leather would be any more likely to... besides, my friend, we've all seen Rossi crash many times and I've never seen his pants "roll up".