Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
firstcherokeekid
1literDucEater

Default Help! I think I bought a turd!

I have had my new to me 06 gsxr 750 for about a month now. I bought it from a local dealer. Here is the issue. There is a very very loud whine in first and second gear on decel and down shifts. I had my friend take it up and down the street to see what he thought. You could here the whine over the exhaust and normal engine noise while riding. So loud in-fact that was all you could hear as the bike went by. The other issue is sometimes it will get hung up between first and neutral. If sitting at a dead stop in neutral and you pull in the clutch to shift into first the gear indicator goes blank and the neutral light will be off but yet the bike is still in neutral. But if I shift straight from second down to first it goes right into gear with no problem. I have to let out the clutch just a little and then the bike will go into gear. It does this very same thing over and over. I have changed the oil. Checked the chain. Adjusted the clutch cable. Any ideas as to what it could be. I have no idea what was done to this bike prior to me buying it. The shop I bought it from keeps telling me nothing is wrong with it. Just to prove to myself that I was not crazy I went and test rode another 06 750 with about the same mileage and nothing close to how my bike sounds. I have used the search function as well and did not find anything close to what issues I have. If anyone has any prior exp with this problem please help me out before I pull my hair out.
Thanks in advance
Jessica
firstcherokeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

check my response over on JGP forums. although it IS a zuki, and I'm partial to Hondas myself, but it could just be a piece of junk. you never know on those freakin things. but how many miles are on it?
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
firstcherokeekid
1literDucEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
check my response over on JGP forums. although it IS a zuki, and I'm partial to Hondas myself, but it could just be a piece of junk. you never know on those freakin things. but how many miles are on it?
I am a Honda fan at heart as well. I also have an RC51. The gsxr has about 8,500 miles. I hope it is not a p.o.s. I was hoping to make this the new track bike.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Check your chain tension...if it is too tight, you will get that whine....otherwise, sounds like you are about to blow a tranny bearing.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

I see you checked the chain.....I don't know haw many miles you put on when you changed the oil, but it is always a good idea when you think you have issues to put a fine strainer over your catch pan when you drain the oil to check for metal shavings. Also, check the magnet on the drain plug for chunks and chips....that'll let you know if things are starting to chew themselves up....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Check your chain tension...if it is too tight, you will get that whine....otherwise, sounds like you are about to blow a tranny bearing.

I thought chain at first too... I imagine you didn't pony up for the warranty huh?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Wait, you have an RC51 and just bought a 750 as a track bike?

MARRY ME!

jk

It does sound like your chain tension may be a little too tight, on decel the weight shift forward would stretch the chain more, which is why you wouldn't hear it on acceleration. As for the bike not clicking into gear, that's actualy not uncommon, the shift dogs are slightly overbuilt to withstand wear better, and sometimes they will aling and prevent the bike from clicking into gear, all it takes is slipping the clutch very slightly to get them to mesh. I would be much more concerned about the transmission if it jumps out of gear. I hope this helps, now about that marriage proposal....

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

My first guess would be a broken clutch spring. But if it was mine, I would put it up on wheel stands and listen to where the noise is coming from. If the noise is from the clutch area, it could be several things, and you would have to take the clutch apart.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
firstcherokeekid
1literDucEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Wait, you have an RC51 and just bought a 750 as a track bike?

MARRY ME!

jk

It does sound like your chain tension may be a little too tight, on decel the weight shift forward would stretch the chain more, which is why you wouldn't hear it on acceleration. As for the bike not clicking into gear, that's actualy not uncommon, the shift dogs are slightly overbuilt to withstand wear better, and sometimes they will aling and prevent the bike from clicking into gear, all it takes is slipping the clutch very slightly to get them to mesh. I would be much more concerned about the transmission if it jumps out of gear. I hope this helps, now about that marriage proposal....
I am not signing shit.......hahaha. Not the chain or the tensioner. I am afraid it is something internal either tranny or somewhere along those lines. But god forbid I have to split the cases on a bike I have not even had a month yet.....So pissed right now.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
firstcherokeekid
1literDucEater

Thanks for all the help. Screw it. I am taking it to the track this weekend. Maybe I just end up blowing up the damn thing and that will give me an excuse to drop a whole new motor in it that I know has not been abused by anyone but me....hahaha.