Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default What kind of rain gear do you use?

I'm looking for some rain gear to use on my commute to work, what type do you use? How effective is it? and What's the price?
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I've never really used "official" rain gear. I've heard bad things about frogg toggs but can't say from experience.

I have a coat and pants that I wear over my stuff.

Apparently Icon has decent rain gear.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

My first rain suit was a 1 piece from Nelson Riggs that worked well enough, but it didn't breathe at all and as soon as it stopped raining I would have to take it off. It was about $50.

My best friend had a set of Frogg Toggs. If anybody suggests you should get that, punch them in the mouth immediately. They are 110% useless.

Now, it's Aerostich Roadcrafter or nothing for me. I've already shown how well it works. See the vid I did. It wasn't cheap at about $900, but you definitely get what you pay for in this particular case.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Erik and I just have the cheap set from Wal_Mart - pants and jacket just as a safety. We don't generally ride when it's raining so no need to invest in something too nice.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Stearns pants and jacket from Wally World. Jacket has a hood that I tuck into the back when I'm riding. I use the jacket as a regular rain jacket. Pants have snaps so you can get them on over riding boots. Also has slits in the pockets so you can get to your regular pants pockets. Paid about $40 for the entire thing. Pants got really dirty at the last Desmo rally. Ran 'em through the wash and dryer and they're fine. Same w/jacket when it needs it.

I bought Robert a set of the Frogg Togs are few years ago. They've seen quite a few rainy track days and several rainy Desmo rallies. So far, they've held up well.
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

i used to have some aerostitch, lost them, now i have some from wal mart and they are just as good in my opinion, been in the pouring rain a couple of times, and stayed completely dry

i wouldnt waste money on expensive ones, just dont get real thin ones that the wind will tear apart

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
My first rain suit was a 1 piece from Nelson Riggs that worked well enough, but it didn't breathe at all and as soon as it stopped raining I would have to take it off. It was about $50.

My best friend had a set of Frogg Toggs. If anybody suggests you should get that, punch them in the mouth immediately. They are 110% useless.

Now, it's Aerostich Roadcrafter or nothing for me. I've already shown how well it works. See the vid I did. It wasn't cheap at about $900, but you definitely get what you pay for in this particular case.
Why? I have a set of Frogg Toggs that I've used a few times with no issues. I stayed dry, not much flopping in the wind, and went over my other gear with ease.
Will it match up to a $900 Aerostich. No. Will it pass for a guy needing to stay dry on a random commute from time to time. IMO yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R
Talking

Quote:
...Now, it's Aerostich Roadcrafter or nothing for me. I've already shown how well it works. See the vid I did. It wasn't cheap at about $900, but you definitely get what you pay for in this particular case.

You realize that you have to run it though 52 carwashes to be 100% sure it's effective.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
t-homo
WSB Champion

I have frogg toggs now. They worked fairly well the couple of times I have had to use them. I will probably get an Aerostitch or Olympia version of it this summer.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
that would be the kind that I keep with me - just plain black pants and red jacket.

I keep it with me but have only had to use it a couple of times - otherwise I keep the rain liner in my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants when I know it's going to rain and it actually works pretty well.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote