Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default ZX-14 shock on the SV

Well, I finally took the plunge and put a ZX-14 shock on my SV. I've been riding the SV with the stock rear shock for the past 7 years thinking (apparently incorrectly) that everything was working well. For those that don't know, the stock suspension on the SV is set up on something of a budget. For folks that are lighter, it tends to not be a problem. However, I'm not lighter so for those of us that are a bit more, uh, insulated, a better (read: more heavily sprung and adjustable) shock is usually best.

Unfortunately, a nice aftermarket shock would be close to and/or over a grand. However, there are some shocks that are pretty darn close to the length of the SV's shock. For my weight, riding style, and occasional 2up riding, the ZX-14 shock would be ideal.

I managed to score a ZX-14 rear shock from eBay for under $100 and it's been sitting in the garage for the past 2 weeks - I've been putting it off thinking it'd be a huge PITA to install.

I finally decided to just freakin' do it... I put the SV up on the center stand (probably the single most useful aftermarket part I've put on the bike to date), unbolted the dog bones, unbolted the shock, and then snuck it out through the bottom. After some creative movement of the little rubber flap on the swing-arm, I managed to sneak the new shock into the space, lined it up, and it almost dropped right in. Minor thing: I needed to Dremel the top of the new shock just the tiniest bit to get it to slide into the slot. That took about 2 minutes total after which, the shock dropped right in. I then tightened everything back up, put the dog bones back on, torqued everything to spec and pulled the bike off the center stand.

At first, I thought I hadn't done something right... the bike normally drops quite a bit when I take it off the center stand and it settles onto the tires. Not so this time. I proceeded to check everything to make sure there was no binding and found none... Apparently the new shock was already doing it's job.

I checked one more time to make sure everything was bolted in correctly, and then went for a ride. Holy freakin' CRAP, what a difference. It was like the rear wheel was glued to the road. I couldn't believe the difference in the handling.

I'll be spending the next week or so dialing the new shock in (the old shock had adjustable pre-load only while this one has hi/low dampening etc). Either way, it was definitely a worth-while mod. End-to-end, it took me about 20-25 minutes to install (I guess I shouldn't have put it off ). Total cost was just a shade under $100 (you can't reuse the old bottom shock bolt from the SV: it's too short and it actually threads into the stock shock so you're better off just getting the bottom shock bolt for a ZX-14)

Next up, new fork springs, oil, and emulators.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 06-06-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Be careful, the dive you will get with the new shock and sucky springs will kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Even for lighter guys like myself, the stock SV suspension sucks. Mine acted like a pogo stick over bumps.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Be careful, the dive you will get with the new shock and sucky springs will kill you.
Yeah I am planning on ordering new springs on Monday. I've already got the pre-load cranked up in the meantime and will be taking it easy this week until the new springs are installed. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to doing.

Emulators will come later I think just because of time. Sonic Springs and 15 or 20 weight fork oil should do for now.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

ok, scratch that, I just ordered .90kg/mm springs.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

holy crap. bike related threads on fix?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

it's riding season

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Get the emulators. They are drop in easy and make a huge diff. My SV was transformed by them.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Get the emulators. They are drop in easy and make a huge diff. My SV was transformed by them.
this
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Go with 20W, don't even bother with 15W.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote