Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Go with 20W, don't even bother with 15W.
This..
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Go with 20W, don't even bother with 15W.
I didn't want to stiffen it up too much at once with springs and oil... You really think 20W is a better idea?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
ok, scratch that, I just ordered .90kg/mm springs.
What you weighing in at? I wound up with a 1.1 spring for the aprilia (now if I can get them installed properly, thats a whole other story ) and guys on the forum recommended 5wt oil.

Not sure what was in there from last year but with the new oil and the older springs it seems better
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Switch
dadbod

From my experience with the SV.

The forks are useless. You might as well crank those suckers all the way down until you get some valve emulators.

Hell, the rear shock was useless too, like a marshmallow.

Then again, I replaced my stuff with a Penske 8981 and Traxxion AK-20s.

But, for you, get the emulators. http://www.traxxion.com/detail-65.aspx

Call or email them first.

Last edited by Switch; 06-07-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
tommymac
Moto GP Star

do they match up witht he gsxr forks. I have stock internals from an 07 750 in my garage.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

I wish they were a 1:1 Tommy

I am about 230 these days (trying to get that down) and with my riding style .90 springs would seem to be best.

There's 5W in there now and it dives like a freakin' submarine - I'm doing incremental steps to correct it starting with springs and oil. Over the winter I will work on emulators: I just don't want the down time and all the drilling and such right now.

I'm not a crazy fast rider by any stretch of the imagination (I have no doubt that any number of people here could out-ride me in the twisties) so I'm trying to find the compromise between stiffness and a softer ride.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I wish they were a 1:1 Tommy

I am about 230 these days (trying to get that down) and with my riding style .90 springs would seem to be best.

There's 5W in there now and it dives like a freakin' submarine - I'm doing incremental steps to correct it starting with springs and oil. Over the winter I will work on emulators: I just don't want the down time and all the drilling and such right now.

I'm not a crazy fast rider by any stretch of the imagination (I have no doubt that any number of people here could out-ride me in the twisties) so I'm trying to find the compromise between stiffness and a softer ride.
I have heard that emulators may be overkill for the street, but I dont know how bad those internals are. Find out if the gsxr stuff would fit. I could send you th eparts off of mine if it would help.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I have heard that emulators may be overkill for the street, but I dont know how bad those internals are. Find out if the gsxr stuff would fit. I could send you th eparts off of mine if it would help.
Yeah, I've heard that they're overkill for the street too. Eventually I'll build a track bike but I'm so far from any tracks that it isn't practicle for me to set the bike up for the track at this time.

I'll do some research and let you know if the GSXR internals would fit into the SV - I'm thinking not but if they will that may be a cool idea too.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that they're overkill for the street too. Eventually I'll build a track bike but I'm so far from any tracks that it isn't practicle for me to set the bike up for the track at this time.

I'll do some research and let you know if the GSXR internals would fit into the SV - I'm thinking not but if they will that may be a cool idea too.
With the old TL's a lot of the gsxr stuff bolted right on so I figured its worth a shot.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Heck I have most of a front end you can have...the forks are tweaked but repairable according to Racetech. The lower triple is tweaked according to Leon and I have the upper as well. I may even have the bearings some where and an axle. You pay shipping and you can have it but I caution you that I take zero responsibility. Let me know.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote