Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I'll take a look during lunch and see what the sizes and such are and then pull what I can on the GSXR internals

I went for a ride this morning before everyone got up and it's amazing the difference with the rear shock.

Amber Lamps, I think I'm good for now (I'd rather not do the full conversion to the GSXR front because I don't want to mess with the speedometer and stuff) but thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

We did the full GSXR750 on our endurance SV complete with new rim and some steering head machine work and guess what? Our Race Tech equipped stock forks were preferred by all.

Another plus on the race tech is go to their website, input your weight, riding style and use, and it will give you free recommendations on spring rate and fluid...Free.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Another plus on the race tech is go to their website, input your weight, riding style and use, and it will give you free recommendations on spring rate and fluid...Free.
Yep - that's where I got the .90 and 15W spring/oil combination

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
We did the full GSXR750 on our endurance SV complete with new rim and some steering head machine work and guess what? Our Race Tech equipped stock forks were preferred by all.

I think the sonic site does it as well.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
Switch
dadbod

Particle Man, I would recommend going with the emulator kit I linked to.

I know you say you don't ride hard, but its not just about that.

The suspension on the SV is done after about 5k miles. It's also a safety issue. Wishy washy suspension leads to wishy washy braking and an uncertainty of what your bike is doing.

When you give input, you want your bike to respond in a predictable manner. The emulators are in no way close to a "race" suspension. Just some food for thought.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Thanks dude. It's definitely on the agenda.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Glad you finally got it in. Good luck with the front end
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I didn't want to stiffen it up too much at once with springs and oil... You really think 20W is a better idea?
IMO, oil is more important than springs, because springs only control dive......But oil controls both dive AND rise/float.

As for the emulators, they are just a spring-loaded valve that pops open if you hit a pothole. So it theoretically improves the ride and traction over bumps, but they don't affect rebound damping, so your bike will rise/rebound just as much as it did before. Most SV owners "in the know" braise shut the rebound hole in their damper rod. In fact, Traxxion sells a damper rod with the hole braised shut, but you could do it yourself if you want.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #29
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Most SV owners "in the know" braise shut the rebound hole in their damper rod. In fact, Traxxion sells a damper rod with the hole braised shut, but you could do it yourself if you want.
hmmm, now there's an idea...

Old 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Forgot to mention, doing emulators requires you to drill bigger holes in the damping rod to free up the compression damping (since the emulator restricts compression). Then you have to set the spring tension on the emulator which determines when it pops open. The problem is, I found it hard to get a good balance between the two. If you don't like it you'll have to open up the forks again and dig the emulators out and adjust them. That is why the Gixxer front end is so popular, because they have damping adjusters, not to mention USD forks so there is less unspring weight. Better brakes as well.

I would just do the springs & oil and see how you like it. Doing anything else to those forks is more effort than it's worth, IMO.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote