Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Moto: Honda CRF50

o yeah, i know the 2 tubes you are talking about, and yes, they are connected properly. I never took them off the solenoid. just from between the carburetors.

it would suck to have the plugs fouled again, these suckers costed me $25.
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

At wide-open, the carbs run on the main jet. The only time I've seen a main jet clog was on a GS850 that sat for ten years with a broken petcock. The gas was like syrup.

On your Honda, and just about every other carb, the jet needle pulls out of the main jet as the diaphragm/piston rises. On my old GS1000, the throttle cable controls the rising brass piston. But after 1980, the plastic piston rises due to the vacuum of the engine.

That piston, and the walls that the piston rises in, has to be squeaky clean for the light vacuum to lift the piston out of the main jet. I don't know about your 600, but on my CBR1000, I can pull the airbox back and lift up each piston in the carb with my finger. There should be light resistance, and it should fall with a plastic thunk when released as there is a light spring under the piston. If all four don't do that, you will have to take them apart and clean them.

I don't know how mine get so dirty with varnish, as I have to clean them twice a year. But when they are clean, the throttle response is instant.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #13
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Come on NW... you are a sync'ing master.... speak it to the guy.

The basic gist is that it ensures that all the carbs are delievering the same amount of fuel all the time.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Come on NW... you are a sync'ing master.... speak it to the guy.

The basic gist is that it ensures that all the carbs are delievering the same amount of fuel all the time.
You're right. I always do a sync after the carbs are running right. But his ain't. Plus, it's a Honda. So the ignition timing should also be checked since the advance is electronic.

Speaking of ignition, My GS1000 had points ignition before I changed it to a Dyna electronic ignition. But that's just the trigger. The ignition advance is still done by the old weights and springs. I have to oil them every five years or so to keep them working smoothly.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Moto: Honda CRF50

I havent used the seafoam yet, but I did buy a can of it. I turned on the bike today just to see if it was idling a little better and accelerating better and it was. I open the throttle all the way and it didnt bog or ran rough... my guess is probably that the air filter was still moist and the the application of oil that I put on, it was probably a little bit clogged. but it most likely dried up by now.

here is a little video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhcFGH8BOgQ

I will add the seafoam tomorrow and make another video.

can someone point me to a tutorial on sync the carbs?

Last edited by LOZ; 11-16-2008 at 04:07 PM..
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote