Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Interesting take on it.

I will say this - Harley has the market saturated. And, although they have more riders that go without protective gear, they also have more riders that are willing to get out there and ride. After going across the country, there are more riders out there on the open road on Harley Davidson's than any other bike.

Sportbikes say they ride. Bullshit, Harley riders do ride the fuck out of those bikes....
Comparing cross-country riders on HDs to cross-country riders on supersports is not a fair comparison. There are other types of riding than superslab. Sportbikes are not well-suited to long stretches of straight roads any more than Electra-Glides are suited to track duty.

In all honesty, though, if I wanted to ride a really long way, I would be far more likely to do it on something like a Connie 14 or BMW than anything HD.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Interesting take on it.

I will say this - Harley has the market saturated. And, although they have more riders that go without protective gear, they also have more riders that are willing to get out there and ride. After going across the country, there are more riders out there on the open road on Harley Davidson's than any other bike.

Sportbikes say they ride. Bullshit, Harley riders do ride the fuck out of those bikes....
It cuts both ways... You go to the big biker rallies and you'll see some guys that REALLY ride their machines... I will say this though... I've seen many more high mileage Harleys than I have just about any other bike... aside from maybe BMW's...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Since there are probably 2 or 3 times as many Harleys as sportbikes, it's rather obvious that there are going to be more high-mileage Harleys.

Also, sportbike riders are younger and ride more aggressively, so many of them get totalled before they get the chance to rack up high miles.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Since there are probably 2 or 3 times as many Harleys as sportbikes, it's rather obvious that there are going to be more high-mileage Harleys.

Also, sportbike riders are younger and ride more aggressively, so many of them get totalled before they get the chance to rack up high miles.
It also seems as if HD riders keep their bikes longer... CL is loaded with sportbikes here... in fact, loaded with everything but HD bikes... probably at a 10:1 ratio... Sportbikes wear out around 20k anyway...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Sportbike riders wear gear because it is functional. Things like jackets, boots, and full-face helmets are all there for a very real purpose.

Harley riders, by and large, are posers and accountants with a mid-life crisis that cruise really slowly to the local "bike night" and back once a week. Their life is all about image and rugged individuality, which is why they all dress like a bunch of gay pirates.
The fact that more sport bike riders wear more gear is just a happy accident, in my opinion. There are plenty of riders in both camps who are just trying to project an image (and only cruise to weekly bike night). It just happens that the racing-inspired sport bike image includes a full-face helmet.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Some very differing takes on this.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
The fact that more sport bike riders wear more gear is just a happy accident, in my opinion. There are plenty of riders in both camps who are just trying to project an image (and only cruise to weekly bike night). It just happens that the racing-inspired sport bike image includes a full-face helmet.
You make a very good point there. I do love seeing the sportbike riders cruising around town in a pair of sunglasses, shorts, and a tank top with a helmet strapped to the side of the bike. I never got that one.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
You make a very good point there. I do love seeing the sportbike riders cruising around town in a pair of sunglasses, shorts, and a tank top with a helmet strapped to the side of the bike. I never got that one.
How can you cruise the whores and show them who the badass on the fast bike is if they can't see your face?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I think you might be right.

Real riders are few and far between. By "Real" I mean... people that are in it because they love to ride. Not because they like to play dress up, or have watched one too many movies OR even that feel they need to be seen/recognized for what they do. My favorite are the guys that got stuffed in lockers in high school that thought buying a bike would make them cool - that doesn't work.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Sport bike manufacturers come out with new updated models every year so people want the latest and greatest. Harleys never seem to change much. why sell your harley to buy a new one that is exactly the same?

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote