Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #111
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I honestly was interested in what they had to say. Especially Amorok as we've gotten in similar debates about auto matic weapons. I know he thinks I'm a coward because I don't want to kill people anymore,I guess he has a right to his opinion,but I just don't see the point.
Not wanting to kill people any more does not make you a coward, it makes you a pacifist. Constantly questioning why other people need a gun makes you sound like all the people at work who admit they are terrified of motorcycles, then ask me the same questions about them. You might be goddamn John McClain for all I know, but you sound like a hoplophobe, although not a very advanced case, so there's hope.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Not wanting to kill people any more does not make you a coward, it makes you a pacifist. Constantly questioning why other people need a gun makes you sound like all the people at work who admit they are terrified of motorcycles, then ask me the same questions about them. You might be goddamn John McClain for all I know, but you sound like a hoplophobe, although not a very advanced case, so there's hope.
Hmmm...I think that I have been insulted but I am too stupid to be sure.....

I was thinking about starting a new thread but I'll drop this here... Guess who may be re-entering the military in a few weeks? I had a meeting with a recruiter after I got a message that the Army was looking for me. Who knows maybe I can train the guy who puts one right between ol' what's his name's eyes! What is his name? I've seriously forgotten! Anyway,maybe there's some punch in this old soldier yet!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #113
Amorok
Issukangitok

You can't be that old.

And I didn't know pacifist was an insult.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #114
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

"hoplophobe" and I'm 43 years old,44 in May.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #115
Amorok
Issukangitok

Hoplophobe

Political usage

Firearms instructor Colonel Jeff Cooper coined the word in 1962 to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons".[2] Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not (explain this behavior)." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user."

[edit] Clinical usage

In spite of the political origins and connotation of the term, it has clinical usage, and a patient may be diagnosed with this phobia[citation needed]. For instance, a patient that has no opinion on law or public policy per se but becomes terrified upon noticing a policeman's sidearm, or a photograph of a rifle or knife, may be a hoplophobe[citation needed]. Such a phobia may be present in someone who suffers from PTSD as a result of a traumatic experience involving a firearm[citation needed]. Hoplophobia is described as an uncommon phobia in Contemporary Diagnosis And Management of Anxiety Disorders.

Hoplophobe

Political usage

Firearms instructor Colonel Jeff Cooper coined the word in 1962 to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons".[2] Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not (explain this behavior)." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user."

[edit] Clinical usage

In spite of the political origins and connotation of the term, it has clinical usage, and a patient may be diagnosed with this phobia[citation needed]. For instance, a patient that has no opinion on law or public policy per se but becomes terrified upon noticing a policeman's sidearm, or a photograph of a rifle or knife, may be a hoplophobe[citation needed]. Such a phobia may be present in someone who suffers from PTSD as a result of a traumatic experience involving a firearm[citation needed]. Hoplophobia is described as an uncommon phobia in Contemporary Diagnosis And Management of Anxiety Disorders.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #116
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Um...did you post it twice to make sure I understood it completely? Hmmm... so maybe I'm suffering from PTSD and my aversion to killing people may be a manifestation of that? Soooo...."normal" people haven't any problem with the idea of shooting another human being with a gun? Well,I guess I'm just fucked up in the head then...
Old 03-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #117
Amorok
Issukangitok

Er, didn't mean to post twice. I'm just sayin' you seem kind of skurred.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #118
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Er, didn't mean to post twice. I'm just sayin' you seem kind of skurred.
You may be right,I guess. If I come down there and we go out in the hood somewhere and I cap someone will you stop thinking I'm a coward then? No bravado but I've never had any problem shooting people when I had to.

What's really funny is when I exude confidence in one thread with my ability to kill at long range,I have a huge "E-penis". When I show an aversion to killing,I'm a "coward" or "skurred". Okay sooooo.... I can't "win" no matter what I do or say... Damn,are you sure we're not dating?

Anyway,I'm only me,I'll fight or kill when I have to and I'll do my best to avoid "having to" if I can. If that is wrong,then I'll be wrong BUT I will live up to my beliefs,standards and ethics. If we're hanging out and something jumps off,I have your back BUT if I can avoid the situation I will do that too,even if that includes carrying your gun-toting ass out of there over my shoulder! I was always the bouncer that stopped fights BEFORE they started,not the typical type that waits for things to get out of control so they can get some "licks" in.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #119
Rider
Moto GP Star

I was checking out a Sig Sauer P250 over the weekend. Very nice. Not as nice as a P229 but it's lighter and holds more rounds. The nice thing about the P250 is that you can easily change the caliber from a 9mm to a 37Sig, 40 S&W or a .45ACP quickly with the purchase of a new barrel and spring kit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #120
Amorok
Issukangitok

Quote:
You may be right,I guess. If I come down there and we go out in the hood somewhere and I cap someone will you stop thinking I'm a coward then? No bravado but I've never had any problem shooting people when I had to.
Har de har frikkin har.
Quote:
What's really funny is when I exude confidence in one thread with my ability to kill at long range,I have a huge "E-penis". When I show an aversion to killing,I'm a "coward" or "skurred". Okay sooooo.... I can't "win" no matter what I do or say... Damn,are you sure we're not dating?
I'm not talking about having an aversion to killing. Hell, I don't want to kill anybody either, just like I don't want a spare tire or to lock my keys in my car. But I carry a spare key, I carry stuff to change my tire and I carry a gun, in case shit happens. I support yyou in not wanting to shoot anybody but you've made it a habit to question why anybody would want to carry a gun, why I need a gun, and why I should be allowed to carry a firearm. Well, although I hope I never have to I need to carry a gun in case it should happen that somebody needs some killin'. That's right, I'm a psycho, vigilante cowboy just like carrying a gun makes me. And you should be afraid of me, having a pistol means I'm out looking for YOU. You should definitely support any law that takes that gun from under my jacket, the fucking thing's making me crazy.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Anyway,I'm only me,I'll fight or kill when I have to and I'll do my best to avoid "having to" if I can. If that is wrong,then I'll be wrong BUT I will live up to my beliefs,standards and ethics. If we're hanging out and something jumps off,I have your back BUT if I can avoid the situation I will do that too,even if that includes carrying your gun-toting ass out of there over my shoulder! I was always the bouncer that stopped fights BEFORE they started,not the typical type that waits for things to get out of control so they can get some "licks" in.
Well, when you have to, if that situation ever arrises, I hope the other guy isn't carrying a weapon, or you're fucked. Just because I have a gun doesn't mean I'll draw it in every confrontation, but when the other guy pulls a gun it'll be nice not to die for lack of shooting back. And as for being a bouncer, I did it too and I didn't care when the fight stopped as long as it was soon. If we're ever in a fight together I'll thank you not to try to carry me anywhere, just stay out of my way.