Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #21
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Note: If you're going to go with the bamboo, do NOT invite any panda bears over for dinner...just sayin.

Personally, I'd get tile...tile is da bomb in a house...lasts forever, easy cleanup and your animals can piss and shit all over it and not tick you off. Good stuff.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 08-11-2009 at 01:27 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #22
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Personally, I'd get tile...tile is da bomb in a house...lasts forever, easy cleanup and your animals can piss and shit all over it and not tick you off. Good stuff.
Tile is too damn hard.
When I visit my parents house, even walking around in my socks, my feet start to hurt after a while.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
What did you expect from the son of a carpenter?
wait... I thought Jesus was a carpenter... or was God one too... and he's a 2nd gen handy man? man I bet he was pissed when his dad invented the do it your self people

oh and fwiw... Bamboo FTW...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #24
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Mikey - If you're looking to put down wood/laminate in the house, I just wanted to bring up something for you to consider. Our whole first floor is wood, except for the carpet in the one bedroom and tile in the one bathroom. With the kitchen having a wood floor, it does look great, but it comes with the price of being higher maintenance.

If you spill any liquid on it, you need to clean it up and dry it well, right away....otherwise you risk warping of the boards. Doesn't matter how much poly may be on it. Also, it's good idea to keep small rugs in front of the areas that can easily get wet - in front of the sink, the dishwasher, the fridge, etc.

Personally, we think it looks great in the kitchen and we don't mind it - but I know some people do. Just something for you to think about. Whatever you go with, be sure to take pics for us.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #25
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
What did you expect from the son of a carpenter?
Jesus helped me remodel my bathroom.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
AquaPython
put it THIS way

cool - this will only be in the main living / dining room area and a small hallway. total about 500+ sqft. the kitchen and fl. room are both two different types of tile. i like tile, but as mentioned it is hard, also, it would be a third type in the house, touching the other 2 types... wierd. i also like big ass 18"+ tiles, but they wont look right in a smaller area, so just another reason for the bamboo. now H wants wood or tile in the bedroom but i cant sign up for that one. i like carpet in the bedrooms.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Were kinda lucky in that the living room/dining room and hallway have wood floors already. In th eden/entertainment area were going to put new carpet down in the tv room and prolly the laminate in the bar/entertainment room. it looks like its just concrete under the carpeting so I will have ot get some plywood to lay down first.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #28
Rider
Moto GP Star

On a concrete slab I would only put a floating laminate with the moisture barrier/foam pad under it. I finished my entire basement with laminate with the exception of the bathroom which I installed tile. Real wood only on OSB/plywood stapled directly to the floor with only a thin moisture barrier under it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
On a concrete slab I would only put a floating laminate with the moisture barrier/foam pad under it. I finished my entire basement with laminate with the exception of the bathroom which I installed tile. Real wood only on OSB/plywood stapled directly to the floor with only a thin moisture barrier under it.
Why wouldnt you put plywood down first? I had heard from others that if its a concrete slab that you had to put plywood down first. The room I am puttin git in is not realy a basement but is on a slab at ground level if that matters.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Tile is too damn hard.
When I visit my parents house, even walking around in my socks, my feet start to hurt after a while.
Put some shoes on.

Hippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Were kinda lucky in that the living room/dining room and hallway have wood floors already. In th eden/entertainment area were going to put new carpet down in the tv room and prolly the laminate in the bar/entertainment room. it looks like its just concrete under the carpeting so I will have ot get some plywood to lay down first.
You can't really just "lay down some plywood" over concrete. There's no decent way to attach it. You have to lay down "sleepers" first (PT 2x4's layed flat, and Tapcon'd or nailed with concrete nails). The advantage to that, is that you can install rigid insulation between the 2x's (you could also install radiant heating) before you lay the plywood down. The disadvantage, is that the floor will be about 2.5 inches taller than the adjoining rooms, which makes for a funky transition. You're probably going to be better off laying down an "elastomeric polyurethane" coating, and installing the Lam over that.

Heathen.

JC