Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default older 600 question

How much should I expect to pay for a working older 600, preferably a late 80's early 90's sportbike, possibly one that has been dropped and no body. I've been contemplating an F2 sidecar build as a project.

sorta like this one

I'm in the very early stages of planning, but I don't think that it would be too hard or cost prohibitive to take a steel frame sportbike, slam it, fix the steering geometry and add a sidecar. Just take a bunch of time and effort
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Here's a F2 from a local board, if you want, I can get pics.

http://www.ncsportbikes.com/forums/v...er=asc&start=0
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

can you get pics of this, i got a buddy looking for a biek like this

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
can you get pics of this, i got a buddy looking for a biek like this
Working on it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
How much should I expect to pay for a working older 600, preferably a late 80's early 90's sportbike, possibly one that has been dropped and no body. I've been contemplating an F2 sidecar build as a project.

sorta like this one

I'm in the very early stages of planning, but I don't think that it would be too hard or cost prohibitive to take a steel frame sportbike, slam it, fix the steering geometry and add a sidecar. Just take a bunch of time and effort
I'm guessing you have no intention of riding it on the street. When you consider how little of the original bike will end up being used you may be better off looking for just a motor. While there is more risk in the purchase because since you can't fire it up in the bike to test it, you should also save some money vs. buying a complete bike. You might also want to look at motors from early Gixxers or more recent Katanas. It will be easier to fit an air/oil cooled motor due to not having to worry about the location of a radiator. There will be very little besides the motor that you can use anyway so why not start from scratch to begin with.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

When we sold my '95 ZX6r, it was running, but needed carb and suspension work. Clean title, minor cosmetic damage (needed paint, but platics were in decent shape). We got $1100 for it.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

or just hang around a few races and find a used sidecar set up that needs a little work. much more economical in the end. Plus the geometry is all there already.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

If you have to buy someting stay away from 80's bikes aand get a mid 90's bike. looking for parts for an 80's bike isnt as easy as you'd think. the CBR600F is a BITCH to find anything for, despite being an awesome bike. same for the piece of SHIT early ninjas.

An FZR or later model CBR like an F2 would do well though. they're solid as hell.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I'm looking for a project that I can spend time on. My current plans are to use a good majority of the frame and attach a sidecar to it. I want to use the stock steering head and keep the imprinted Vin number. This way I have the opportunity to still register and insure it for street duty if I feel like. I've been drawing designs on napkins as my preliminary sketches before i put it into a CAD program. one of my reasons for using a much older sportbike is the steel frame, I can weld steel, I can weld aluminum but I do a crappy job with aluminum.

My initial guesses are that I would be able to maintain the stock rear swingarm (slightly lengthened) and the stock tripple trees with a custom suspension and more hospitibal steering angles.

Right now is just the reaserch part, cost estimates, parts stuff like that.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

funny you mention streeting it. I was going to say it would be pretty cool to put one on the street. Imagine you'd get a few looks with it.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote