Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #131
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over200 View Post
LOL!!...CMF'er....That's what I've always heard ...and FYI...Bike weighs 468...all fluids except fuel...& I weigh 185...I'll have to go weigh in suited up!
Aight, so we'll say you put in 3 gallons of gas weighing around 18 pounds total which brings the total to 671 when you ride naked (I'm betting you're apeshit crazy enough to try this) and you've achieved .82 when running 550 hp.

Turn up the boost to 600 hp, burn the fuel down to 1 gallon (6.15 pounds) and you've got 600 hp over 659 pounds which is .91 hp/pound!!

Start vomiting after each meal, tearing everything unnecessary off the bike and you can get down to 600 pounds which would yield you the mythical 1 hp per pound.

God I'm a nerd.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #132
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Aight, so we'll say you put in 3 gallons of gas weighing around 18 pounds total which brings the total to 671 when you ride naked (I'm betting you're apeshit crazy enough to try this) and you've achieved .82 when running 550 hp.

Turn up the boost to 600 hp, burn the fuel down to 1 gallon (6.15 pounds) and you've got 600 hp over 659 pounds which is .91 hp/pound!!

Start vomiting after each meal, tearing everything unnecessary off the bike and you can get down to 600 pounds which would yield you the mythical 1 hp per pound.

God I'm a nerd.
Nothing mythical about that. Top fuel and funny cars top that easily. Pro street bikes.... All that shit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #133
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Nothing mythical about that. Top fuel and funny cars top that easily. Pro street bikes.... All that shit.
Of course but a very select few of top level racers get to use those, regular joes such as us almost never get to experience such power.
On the street it's damn near unheard of.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #134
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Of course, but a very select few of regular joes such as us get to experience it, on the street it's almost unheard of.
Agreed...
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #135
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
On your R6?
Why is that BS? It's not.

Stock claimed horsepower at the crank is 133 actually, I'm sorry. 133hp with ram-air and 127 without ram-air.

If you mean at the wheel, sportrider measured 112.1hp at the rear wheel of their test r6 when they tested it.

But most people discuss the crank hp when discussing power, so I stand by what I said.

I looked around a bit more and the weight was more like 357lb, not 366.

So, 357lb/133hp = 2.68 pounds per hp.

If you want to go with wheel horsepower, it's 357lb/112 = 3.1875 pounds per hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
And most of those guys are probably on converted MX bikes. YZF's, CRF's etc. On those bikes there is a lot more maintainence, but that's the way they're designed and built, also, a lot of those guys who race will rebuild their motor between seasons to keep it at peak power. If you get a purpose-built street tard like an SMC, DRZ-SM, or a WR250X, or a dual-sport big bore converted to a tard (XR650) then the maintainence wont be bad at all.
I see. That makes sense.

I still really want to ride one. I've heard if you don't have dirt experience they are a little tricky to learn the new technique. Is that true?
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #136
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post

But most people discuss the crank hp when discussing power, so I stand by what I said.

I looked around a bit more and the weight was more like 357lb, not 366.

So, 357lb/133hp = 2.68 pounds per hp.

If you want to go with wheel horsepower, it's 357lb/112 = 3.1875 pounds per hp.

I see. That makes sense.

I still really want to ride one. I've heard if you don't have dirt experience they are a little tricky to learn the new technique. Is that true?
FYI, all the weight/hp numbers I posted were dry weight and rear wheel hp.

Yes and no. If you want to ride it 'tard style, body up, bike down, leg out then yes it's hard to learn the new technique. Although not any more difficult than learning any other new technique.

You can road-race style a 'tard, and everywhere but a cart-track it's faster to do it that way. But it's a very unique, elbows up, technique, and you have to support your weight pretty much entirely on your inner thigh. It's weird, but you get used to it quickly. Again, it's no more difficult to learn then any other style of riding.

If you get down here and we ride together then you can take the KTM for a spin.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #137
Over200
Helo Avoidance Equipped

Moto: Time Machine

Quote:

God I'm a nerd.
Im gonna try it!!...I think it looks better naked anyways!!
Over200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #138
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
FYI, all the weight/hp numbers I posted were dry weight and rear wheel hp.

Yes and no. If you want to ride it 'tard style, body up, bike down, leg out then yes it's hard to learn the new technique. Although not any more difficult than learning any other new technique.

You can road-race style a 'tard, and everywhere but a cart-track it's faster to do it that way. But it's a very unique, elbows up, technique, and you have to support your weight pretty much entirely on your inner thigh. It's weird, but you get used to it quickly. Again, it's no more difficult to learn then any other style of riding.

If you get down here and we ride together then you can take the KTM for a spin.
Yeah, the last one that I just posted is dry weight and rear wheel horsepower, giving the 3.1875 pounds per horsepower.

Interesting. Since it's faster to ride it road-race style that's what I'd learn... and I'd be better at that anyways since I've never ridden dirt except once or twice. Thanks for the offer... I hope to take you up on it sometime
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote