Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

What is this "wash" you're talking about? I just say fuckit and ride in the rain.

Gets rid of most of the dirt. The only time I really clean my bike is if I crash. The run-off at JGP is dusty.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

Pretty much never.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Just washed mine for the first time yesterday since I got it. I just need to polish the rims and I'm good for a few weeks.

Do you guys use anything on the tires? I was just going to leave them alone, but if there's something I can use that won't make them all slippery and shit I'd like to keep them somewhat clean.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

I clean my tires with Simple Green, Purple Power, Mean Green........what have you, just some type of degreaser. I don't put anything on when I am done either. I think a really clean tire looks as good or better than one that is shiny. Ofcourse, I never have put any type of tire shine on my bike tires, but have heard horror stories of ones that did.
ZUKIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchopper87 View Post
Just washed mine for the first time yesterday since I got it. I just need to polish the rims and I'm good for a few weeks.

Do you guys use anything on the tires? I was just going to leave them alone, but if there's something I can use that won't make them all slippery and shit I'd like to keep them somewhat clean.
Leave the tires alone. Anything you put on them will make them perform poorly.

I always keep the 636 clean. I bought it new and it's pretty. I've never cleaned the GSXR. I bought it ugly and it's stayed that way. It's getting fixed up and painted in a couple of weeks, though, so that will probably change.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

wipe down 2-4 times a week wax every other week and wash once a month then full deep clean (pulling fairings and shit off 2-5 times a year.
________
Mexico city hotels

Last edited by Antwanny; 03-14-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Leave the tires alone. Anything you put on them will make them perform poorly.
Even using cleaning agents?? Wow...
ZUKIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I clean mine all the time.

When I rode on the street I would clean mine every time I put it into the garage - and detail/wax every month. And, I'm almost fanatical about a clean chain.

Since having the bikes at the track it wasn't possible for me to clean the bikes everytime I rode them - and I missed it. It wasn't just about having a spotless bike, it was about bolt checking and making sure things were doing what they were supposed to be doing. Point - a bolt came loose on the front lower that we didn't notice - the cowl tilted and wore a small hole into the lower oil cooler.

Now - I have a paved driveway down there with a water hose right outside the door. Bikes are clean. CLEAN. *phew*

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

my 750 is pretty dirty if you get up on it, it looks ok from 20ft tho. mostly because its been raining everyday, and my dumbass kept riding anyway. probably why i got sick. oh well. usually tho its pretty clean, not quite dlit status cuz i bought it used and its got a few scratches, nicks, etc. i ride it to work everyday, so i only really clean it friday after work, so its pimped out for the weekend. during the week i just wipe it down, try not to let the brake dust build up. white rims are a bitch, hate em.

my racebike i try to keep ultra clean, i've torn it down to the bare frame atleast once strictly because it sat for awhile and dust, light oxidation, some overspray, had taken over. usually i just spend about two hours going over it the weekend before i go racing. i wish i could roll it off the truck and into a big plastic bubble in between races.

i HATE cleaning, but i look at it like this, other than just looking like shit, if the bike is dirty as fuck, how will u spot a slight leak, alil extra wear, something about to break or something of that nature before it becomes a big problem? to keep a bike clean you gotta go over every piece of it, and it doubles as a inspection, so you find lil things before they turn into big things. thats my thinking anyway
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

As I stated I never clean mine...but I really should clean it now though...lots of bugs on the ride yesterday.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote